ASHLEY SPIVEY’S BLOG: FINALE

There are so many things I want to say about this season but y’all, I’m spent. I don’t know what it was about this season but the ending left me feeling emptier than the previous episode where I was worried that the girls would never get along or Ben would never find love. I felt a little dumbfounded at the behind-the-scenes of the show, angry that they had built us up so much against a certain character, only to quickly encourage us to see her as a human and not the demon that they had portrayed her as. How are we supposed to pull for a love story under these conditions?
Like I said, I’m spent. Let’s get to the finale.

Ben utters these words within the first 2 minutes of the show and I wanted to turn it off after this. If you need more time on the last episode, chances are he isn’t going to pick you.

What is it with cats this season? Remember the lonely gutter cat that was on the street after Blakeley’s departure? WTF?

Ben’s family arrives and using a little bit of hair math, I determine that if you add the texture and color of Julia’s hair to the shape and style of Barb’s hair, you will indeed get the results of Ben’s mop.

Julia is already worried about Courtney when she hears that the girls in the house did not get along with her. She closes her eyes when she rolls them to hide her disgust. I don’t know Julia, but I think I’d really like her.

Lindzi comes over and is her normal, smiley self but she claims she gets really stressed out when she has to eat properly. This really cracks me up.

Barb isn’t amused.

I want to point out that I am in no way making fun of Lindzi’s little face friend. Instead, I just want to bring to y’all’s attention how stressed out these girls must be. All this stress definitely leads to break outs on top of some major hormone production as they are speeding up the engagement process and falling in love. Breakouts around the mouth and chin area are usually related to hormones. You can also break out on your chin if you eat too much dairy – perhaps too much swiss cheese?

Regardless, Barb and Julia feel at ease talking to Lindzi and they both really like her. Julia asks Lindzi about Courtney and without throwing Courtney under the bus, Lindzi just emphasizes that they are very different. Lindzi really is a classy girl.

I’m starting to get the sads as Lindzi leaves because I know that Ben isn’t going to pick her just from the way he is kissing her. He used to give Lindzi big, open-mouthed kisses and he would put his hands in her hair. Now he keeps his mouth closed and puts his hands gently on her back. He also hardly shows affection towards her in front of his family.

I kind of feel like Lindzi got a little short-changed this season. We’re supposed to pull for her and be so emotionally invested in her but all I really know about her is that she rides horses and her parents have great taste in wine glasses. Even Barb is having a hard-time finding good descriptive words for Lindzi.

Ben warns Julia and Barb that Courtney is a model. I love their reactions. Flajnik ladies have no love for modelbots.

I love some double-chin faces! Wanna know my ultimate ice-breaker when I’m at a party or a dinner and I don’t really know anyone there? I ask everyone to make the ugliest face they can make and mine is usually some double-chin face.
Wow, really went off on a tangent there – I’m just so bored with this episode. Courtney promises Ben that she will be on her best behavior and she looks pretty nervous.

Pretty instantly, the Flajnik ladies start to question Courtney about the girls and her career.

Courtney gets a little taste of how the other girls in the house must have felt when she wasn’t so nice to them and judged them.

But then, SURPRISE, Julia likes Courtney’s honesty and she feels like Courtney is a sweet person that really loves her brother.

For just a second, I thought Julia was going to act like Ashley’s sister, Chrystie, last season and be really hard on the person Ben liked the most.

The Flajnik ladies give a huge seal of approval to Courtney and Julia even says that she is the best fit for Ben. Again, how can there be an hour left of this show? We know what is going to happen!

Ben comes to pick Lindzi up for their final date and of course it includes horses! Ben is super pumped to be on this date (sarcasm).

Lindzi on the other hand is super pumped and seems a little horny.

I mean, he’s not even trying to hide how he feels anymore.

I think he just really misses Courtney.

You think Lindzi knew at this point? I’d be a little worried if he stopped kissing me with his tongue!

Things that seem like great, romantic ideas but just end up looking super awkward – tandem skiing.

As Lindzi is waiting for Ben to come over for dinner, I laugh hysterically after she takes a sip of the wine. It must taste awful because she makes a hideous face after sipping it. I hope that wasn’t Ben’s wine that she was drinking!

Ben comes in and even I can’t stop looking at the popped collar.

Lindzi finally says I love you to Ben and at first he responds with, “That’s good.” The second time she says it, he says, “mhmm.” Ben is so great at this whole acting thing.

Now it’s time for Courtney’s final date and it wouldn’t be complete if she didn’t take some sort of jab at Lindzi.

They take a helicopter ride around the Matterhorn and it does seem pretty awesome and romantic.

After seeing them together for the day, it’s MORE THAN OBVIOUS that he’s going to pick her. What is with her weird kissing stance though? Why is one arm always dead when she’s kissing him?

Again, I’m not making fun of her face friend. It just really sucks because this is shot in HD.

They have a little talk again about how Courtney conducted herself during most of the show and both are worried that they will have some explaining to do. No $h!t!

Y’all I’m being serious. Do you think Ben picked out all his clothes? I know there is a stylist for the Bachelor and Bachelorette – I just refuse to believe that Cary Fetman would pick out bowties, suspenders, man capris, and vests.

There are some closing shots of the girls before the start getting ready and Lindzi goes out on her balcony to do some reflecting. The average temperature there around that time was about 30-40F. Put a coat on at least hun!

Ben must have consulted with Neil Lane before Lindzi’s dinner date because he’s still wearing that awful popped collar.

He ends up picking a ring that looks eerily similar to the ring JP picked out for Ashley.

I’m sorry – the capes cracked me up. I actually kind of like Courtney’s but Lindzi looks like an extra for Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.

It’s like Lindzi has emotional and verbal diarrhea as soon as she see Ben because she can’t stop talking as soon as she reaches him. Ben didn’t look too happy which should have given her a clue.

Then she sees his face and realizes he isn’t talking much and you can practically see the rejection in her face.

I know that it must be hard to tell someone that you don’t want to propose to them but I felt like Ben could have left the “I love you but I’m in love with someone else” part. Maybe build her up a little more before you let her down dude.

Lindzi obviously uses humor as a defense mechanism because she tells Ben to “call me if it doesn’t work out.” Ben doesn’t smile or laugh, he just nods and sees her off without another word.

Then the real villain of the season appears and no y’all, I ain’t talking about Courtney – I’m talking about Ben’s hair. Where did that rogue strand come from? Why didn’t anyone in production come move it out of the way? It was all I could stare at during the proposal – it kind of reminded me of Ali and Roberto’s proposal when I could stop gawking at how much Roberto was sweating.

Regardless, the proposal was pretty sweet. Courtney looked really pretty and I think she was even crying. Ben was pretty teary-eyed too and I think these two really love each other.

Ben said OMD to Courtney multiple times during the season so it’s only fitting that he says it now as well. I can imagine that this was pretty emotional for Ben. I get pretty sad when I think about the fact that my Dad will never get to meet the person I want to marry.

Then they kiss again and I swear, does Courtney always leave one arm down when they kiss?

Regardless of all the shenanigans of this season, I have to say that I think this is my favorite proposal place ever. I loved the backdrop of this entire episode and I think I fell in love with Switzerland while watching.
I’m not going to recap or say much about Courtney and Ben during the AFTR but I do encourage them to take some time out of the spotlight and get to know each other again. I do worry about them as a couple since Ben peaced-out for a little bit during the rough times. While it must be hard to have all of America against you, this will be the least of your problems in a relationship or marriage. I wish them the best and I hope it works out for them.
So what do y’all think? Were you as bored as me during the finale? Do you think Ben and Courtney will make it? Do you want Lindzi to be the next Bachelorette or do Bachelor Pad?

1. Nice Blog Ashley! I was also very bored and noticed the breakouts on both women. Poor things…in HD no less! I do hope Ben and Courtney are very happy together. I really didnt like her but Im reconsidering.
    I loved Linzi but Im not too keen on her being the Bachelorette…Im not sure she could carry the show imo. But Id love to see Emily O’Brien as the Bachelorette!

Comment by Amanda — March 16, 2012 @ 10:54 am

2. Loved all of your blogs, always on the money and so funny!! I agree this was the most boring Bachelor finale ever and am hoping the Bachelorette turns out to be more exciting!! Speaking of which, would love to see you on there or BP3. Also think it would be fun to have 2 Bachelorettes on with the 25 guys…would be fun to see which bachelorettes would be drawn to which men!

Comment by Sandy — March 16, 2012 @ 10:55 am

3. Too many funny lines to quote here! My favorite line/caption of all the blogs: Courtney thinking about Jennifer – “Oh snap, I still don’t know your name.” Thank you for your refreshingly hilarious blog, Ashley, come back again next season!

p.s. No, I wasn’t bored. I liked the proposal and actually thought it was genuine. I hope the two make it…too bad Fleiss made it so devastatingly hard on them (and I’m sure he’s smiling all the way to the bank).

Comment by Dudette — March 16, 2012 @ 11:08 am

4. I noticed the breakouts too! So glad someone else caught that too. Your blogs are great and worth the wait! I definitely thought Switzerland was gorgeous for the proposal. I wonder if that place was a park with that landscaping. In one shot, it looked like there was a giant sign covered up in camo.

Comment by Lesley — March 16, 2012 @ 11:18 am

5. I really love the blog Ashley.
    Honestly I have always thought that the producers were painting a horrible picture of Courtney and knew the girl couldn’t be all that bad. It’s sad how they really don’t care about anyone on the show and all they care about is ratings and money.
    The proposal was just plain beautiful in every way. Ben and Courtney are so in love with each other…it’s so obvious. But after watching ATFR I really felt so bad for them and how it has been so hard with all the negativity. I truly hope they can stay together and work it out.

Comment by Cindy — March 16, 2012 @ 12:07 pm

6. Thanks once again Ashley S! Good, funny blog! I totally agree about the beautiful proposal site. Geez, I did not even notice breakout on either woman. Both women looked gorgeous. And oh, I wasn’t bored with this final episode; maybe just not as suspense filled, which is fine.

Comment by Terri — March 16, 2012 @ 12:32 pm

7. I had the same feeling about ben’s strand of hair… it was all i could look at. i bet it took every ounce of courtney’s being not to reach up there and move it to the side! i did not think the proposal was very romantic. in my opinion didn’t seem very heartfelt or emotional. i never noticed courtney’s arm when they hug/kiss, but i did notice that she NEVER open-mouth kissed him… always just a little peck that goes straight into a hug.

Comment by kkpete — March 16, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

8. I completely skipped watching his date with Lindzi. What was the point? First I’ve heard about it is reading your blog here! Haha, I hadn’t noticed his popped collar, but that was hilarious to point out! Wish Ben & Courtney the best! Will you be recapping Emily’s season and BP3??? Hope so!!!!!

Comment by Beth — March 16, 2012 @ 2:53 pm

9. You are so juch fun to read. Thank you!

I woulod never wish ill of anyone, but I am so tired of this whole wreck. This is the first time I can ever remember looking forward to it being over. He was awful….no personality, looks, cold, mean, rude to the women.

Lindzi almost looked like she wanted to break out into a big smile once she realized it was all over. She certainly did not look sad! She can, and will, do so much better. After all, he set the bar pretty darn low for all those women!

Comment by karyn — March 16, 2012 @ 3:45 pm

10. much not juch!

Comment by karyn — March 16, 2012 @ 3:45 pm

11. Well I was one of the statistics who did not watch this episode. I read this season finally was a bust for ABC. We all knew the ending so why waste 2 hours seeing Ben pick from the 2? As Ashley pointed out Ben was bored with Lindzi and only going through the motions.
    I dont want to see Lindzi on the bachelor Pad. That show is for drama I would love to see drama queens on the show like nutcase Jenna, foul mouthed Samantha, gay Monica, stripper Blakeley..hope they pack tons of condoms for the show if these chicks get on it. Also i would have perfered to see Emily maynard on B-pad then as the bachelorette that would have been entertaining to see the guys on that show try to get in her pants…would love to see how far she would go for 250K! Also would love to see Casey and Vienna and Jake on B-Pad 3 they are so foolish and dumb would be TV gold..Also throw in Ames…Who knows him and jake may hook up as the 1st openly gay couple on the show.

Comment by Thomas Knight — March 16, 2012 @ 11:33 pm

12. I’m not only glad this episode is over but the season! DANG it was like a root canal that never ended! FUUUUGGG! Where did the stylist go for this season? Good gracious. I damn near sprayed my TV with my dinner upon seeing Ben’s mustard ick bowtie. Child please! Mercy!

I agree. Court is depicted as a super-villain, then we’re supposed to do a 180 at the end and be all happy for them and love her? Naw, don’t think it worked too well ABC.

Ben was painful to watch. I mean that. My eyes hurt. If I never see him again in the press it will be to soon. He has this attitude about him that says “I’m better” and just seems like a snot trying to cover up his selfish egotistical jerk ways. He’s a 4 that thinks he’s a 9.5. He obviously didn’t get the memo about that in the looks or personality department.

I am SO happy for all the lovely ladies on this show that got away from his 5th grade clutches!

Comment by Sug — March 17, 2012 @ 4:11 pm

13. I know I shouldn’t be surprised, BUT: I just read a 3/17 article by People writer Monica Rizzo, in which she interviews both Ben & Courtney. And Ben is quoted as saying: “If you look at the pictures, I’m not kissing her (the ‘other woman’), and THAT’s A BUTT PAT.” He continues: “My friends grab my butt, I’m physical & affectionate with friends – guys and girls,” Flajnik insisted. Court is quoted as saying in response to that: “…I believe he didn’t cheat.” And the article goes on: “Marriage isn’t something we’ve even discussed,” Flajnik said. What?!

Comment by Terri — March 17, 2012 @ 9:21 pm

14. sorry, I meant to say that article was under ‘realityworld.com/news/the-bachelor- etc. etc. by People writer Monica Rizzo.

Comment by Terri — March 17, 2012 @ 9:24 pm

15. gotta watch this: super funny

Comment by Max — March 18, 2012 @ 6:41 am

16. Sug…I agree completely. Great analogy, though, we all chose to sit through the root canal!

Thought Jake and Bob were disgusting, but Ben took it to a whole new level. Let him go sell some wine and stay out of the limelight.

It’s also interesting how Courtney is probably reaching the end of prime modeling gigs, due to age, and REALLY needs to find a man soon. How convenient she was “winning” because she had to. How else is she going to support herself, going forward?

Fleiss, according to that jerk Reality Steve, is a reall A**, but he must be laughing all the way to the bank. Too bad, in the process, he’s turned a cheesy romance reality show into a blatantly heavily edited, scripted two hours of classless phony drama.

Who is that Reality Steve guy? I went on his site the first time last week and he was really rude to the people who read his blog. I showed a friend and she said he’s a really bitter, angry sad man, who thinks he is kings of spoilers and is really pathetic. I won’t go on his site again. There are so many better ones! Why wouldn’t someone give this information to a NICE blogger instead of someone who has no people skills? I’d do it, an dI’d do a much better job at it!

Comment by jessie — March 18, 2012 @ 9:25 am

17. From jessie’s comments, the Starpulse thing sounds funny; I might check it out. Question: Reality Steve is not part of realityworld.com sites, is he?

Comment by Terrisa — March 18, 2012 @ 10:07 am

18. I loved reading your blog this season! You made me laugh out loud with your photo captions, one of the funniest being when Lindzi’s dad introduced himself to Ben. Outstanding job. I hope you blog about the Bachelorette too!

Comment by Marie — March 18, 2012 @ 5:05 pm

19. No, Reality Steve has his own website. He and former contestants are also being sued by this show.

Comment by Mike — March 18, 2012 @ 5:07 pm

20. @ Thomas Knight: Ames isn’t gay, though he got picked up by a top modeling agency and will be modeling underwear for Calvin Klein. They asked him to get his face out there and put up twitter pics and my god the dude is photogentic..!

Comment by Annie L. — March 18, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

21. gotta watch this. SO FUNNY!! Probably what Ben was REALLY thinking!

Comment by Francesca — March 18, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

22. I never thought Ames was gay. He seems like a very rare gem – an old-school type gentleman like my Mom worked with in offices – back in the day. Ames is very handsome, sort of has that Harry Connick Jr. look.

Comment by Terrisa — March 18, 2012 @ 8:50 pm

23. Great blog Ashley…you summarized a lot of my thoughts but I didn’t even watch Lindzi’s time with Ben. I read somewhere that Ben turned down any styling help which was obvious.

Comment by Judy — March 22, 2012 @ 1:21 am

24. Great blog as always, Ashley! I was bored throughout the whole season too, unfortunately. I’d love to see Lindzi on Bachelor Pad, but not as the next Bachelorette. I think Emily O’Brien would make a great Bachelorette! However, based off Michael Stagliano’s bachelor blog (he was on Jillian’s season), he digs her…and I think they’d make an awesome couple! They’re both sweet, outgoing, funny and gorgeous. Maybe there’ll be a love match there! ;-)

Comment by Amanda — March 22, 2012 @ 1:32 pm

25. Ashley, not only are your GorgEOUS, but you are HIGH-STER-IHH-CAL!!…..and i must say, out of ALL the BLOGS, YOU “Nailed it” in your first paragraph!!…(i never really thought about it that way…) when you said something like, “they spent the ENTIRE season creating a “VILLIANess” (and doing a GREAT JOB!!)….then expecting us to 180 in the “finale!”….you are SO correct!….how does one pull off a “Love Story” under those conditions!?……Point Well Said!….NOT POSSIBLE, Nor Believable!…..and as far as Lyndzi….a couple of your other fans said this exact thing: “She really needs to let Michael Stags take her out on a DATE!….”…..that boy spoke about her in EVERY episode of his Blog this season!…….YOU are FUNNY , WITTY and i LOVE your “commentaries and air bubbles, etc!”……i hope you continue w/ the “Pad” and “Ette”…..YOU ROCK ! xoxo Pam! xo

Comment by Pamela B... — April 3, 2012 @ 6:14 am

26. This was so funny with the pictures and caption. Very interesting way to recap the finale.

Like any other bachelor fan, I had some strong feelings during Season 16. The interesting thing about America is that no matter what’s in the past (Courtney’s behavior), they truly want two people who love each other to make it anyway and to leave the past behind. I think it’s interesting to see how the reactions have changed mostly from hate to really hoping it works out. You can tell by the Twitter comments.

Comment by bachelor fan — April 13, 2012 @ 11:29 am

27. Glad we’re done with Ben. Not a huge Emily fan, but I love the show, so I will watch…with a grain of salt, because I honestly don’t think Em is looking for love, not really. I think she enjoyed her 15 mins of fame during her Bachelor turn, and this is how she can get out in the tv world again. I’d love to be proven wrong, but time will tell. I’ll keep good thoughts, though, but what I’m really looking forward to is BP3 this summer! And someone, hook Stags up with Em O’Brien…..he is such a GREAT guy and she has such a great pesonality too, that I know they’d be great together.

Comment by Gayle — April 18, 2012 @ 5:38 pm