DANA WEISS’ BACHELOR FASHION BLOG: EPISODE 1

myboots

THAT’S A PICTURE OF ME INTERVIEWING EMILY MAYNARD AND SOMEBODY THAT SHE USED TO KNOW

Every year around this time the folks from the Bachelor ask me to contribute a fashion-centric review of the Bachelor (or Bachelorette.)

And every year I’m asked the same question: Who the hell is Possessionista?

So let’s get this out of the way.

I’m nobody. I’m not affiliated with the show. I’ve never been on the Bachelor (or even auditioned.) I don’t work in TV production. I’m not a stylist. Or a journalist. I’m not really any kind of an “ist.” I’m just a longtime fan of the show.

So basically, I’m just like you.

Only bitchier.

Over the years, we’ve seen a lot of great Bachelor fashion. Jillian Harris, Emily Maynard, Michelle Money, and Casey Shteamer were all fashion standouts in Bachelor Nation. They each had their own sense of style and, at one point or another, each of us has asked, “where can I get that?”

And that’s why I’m here – because the Bachelor is all about finding love. And whether it’s Sean finding love in a hot tub with an aspiring actress who may or may not be here for the right reason, or about you finding love with an adorable lace tunic said actress wears on her one-on-one date with Sean – who am I to stand in the way of true love?

But I’m also here because some of these women are just a couple sequins short of an ice capades costume, and someone needs to stage an intervention. So whether it’s time to lay off the spray tanner (Kelly) or invest in a hairbrush (Kerrianne) I’m the one who’s going to set things straight.

Over the next nine weeks, I’m going to break down the best and worst of the Bachelor fashion. Some of you will love it. Some of you will hate it. And some of you will accuse me of being a fat, jealous nobody.

And you’ll be right.

But that’s okay. Because I’m not here to make friends.

The best: Being tasked to choose my favorite dresses from the first Rose Ceremony was only slightly less stressful than Sean Lowe’s task to narrow the field from 26 to 1. This year’s first night dresses was one of the saddest groups of evening gowns I’ve seen since MTV introduced My Super Sweet 16.

After seeing some of these dresses, I felt a little like Jenna Burke in that I wanted to get blind drunk and cry in a bathroom.

Still it wasn’t a total wash, some of these ladies nailed their first looks – and scored a rose.

1296746538pre-3235888513809189966

Despite a super embarrassing tumble on the Bachelor mansion driveway, bachelorette Robyn Howard’s rosegold Badgley Mischka dress is one of my favorites. The color and fit were near perfection – even if she didn’t stick the landing.

1296747330pre--4464235554949849122

Someone else whose dress made a great first impression was Amanda in ABS by Allen Schwartz. The sophisticated colorblock dress proves that you don’t need to bedazzle it to be dazzling.

1296746971pre--1045677136615545662

It was love at first sight for me and single mom Dianna’s black and white skirt. The custom skirt by Natalie Malan was graphically interesting, and I love that she took a chance and wore two pieces.

desiree-300x200

Fun fact: contestant Desiree designed and made her gorgeous red lace dress herself. Viewers quipped that it reminded them of the green Jenny Packham dress Kate Middleton wore last year. I can’t think of a better compliment. If it doesn’t work out for Desiree with Sean, may I suggest: Project Runway?

1296746468pre-4127622170390112710

By far, the crowd favorite goes to Leslie M in Catherine Deane. The detailed shoulder and feminine silhouette was beautiful and the color stood out in a sea of black and red. It’s exactly the dress I would wear to play football.

The bad: It’s a good thing Sean Lowe is a much better person than me and wasn’t judging these women by what they were wearing – or did he? Some of the worst dresses of the night (and their respective wearers) were sent packing.

1296747353pre-3673772802802944146

I had such high hopes for Kelly, who looked a little like Rachel Zoe in her promo pictures. But that’s where the similarities end. Kelly’s white sequin gown looked like something she snagged from her cruise ship days, and the only thing that was “bananas” about the look was the color of her spray tan.

lacey-300x200

Lacey’s sequin gown is like one of those optical illusion pictures that, if you stare at it long enough, images start to appear. At first viewing I didn’t find Lacey’s iridescent dress all that offensive, but as the night went on, the dress morphed into one giant disco ball. As the old saying goes, Disco is dead. And so were Lacey’s dreams of being Sean Lowe’s future ex-girlfriend.

1296746327pre--1290398779593384238

Model Ashley H proves that just because you look great in clothes doesn’t mean you have great taste. Her aqua, jewel-embellished mermaid gown was better suited for a pageant or better yet – a suitcase with a one-way ticket back to Denver.

katie-300x200

I just cannot get on board with formal dresses with cutouts. Unless you’re going to a “dress as your favorite Real Housewive of Miami” party, I subscribe to the school of “cover your belly if the invitation says “formal.” I’m hoping spunky Katie sticks around long enough to redeem her first night blunder. And for the love of Chris Harrison, I hope she wears shoes. Has she not seen what happens on Bachelor Pad?

So that’s it: my picks for best and worst fashion this week on the Bachelor. Let me know in the comments if you agree or disagree. Who were your fashion favorites and who missed the mark? And last of all, don’t forget to tell me how much you hate me and how I’m awful and shallow.

Because it’s not the Bachelor if someone isn’t crying.

See you next week.

Want more Bachelor fashion? Follow Dana on twitter or check out her TV Fashion Blog

1. More Possessionista please! Keep it coming. Agree that these dresses were fug.

Comment by Jen — January 9, 2013 @ 5:56 pm

2. Great wrap up on the first night fashion, scores and fails!

Comment by KP — January 9, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

3. Love your blog & tweets! I freaked out when I saw Robyn’s rose gold bagdley mishka dress- I wore that to an event recently! I loved it.

Comment by Sarah — January 9, 2013 @ 9:37 pm

4. Love your blog! And i totally vote for Desiree’s dress!

Comment by Lam — January 10, 2013 @ 12:09 am

5. I agree completely with everything except I like Katie’s dress, I think it fit her personality well. Dianna’s was one of my favorites.

Comment by lc — January 10, 2013 @ 1:57 am

6. Did you notice, when Kelly hugged Sean goodbye, you could see the yellow spay tan had rubbed off on her dress? YIKES! Awesome blog…always love it:)

Comment by Victoria — January 10, 2013 @ 6:44 am

7. As usual, spot on Dana…I don’t even have to watch the show…I just need your Tweets and updates…LOVE!

Comment by Edith — January 10, 2013 @ 6:14 pm

8. You’re so mean! I can’t believe anyone can be so judgmental. I bet you sit at home eating your bonbons while envying the bach contestants!!!

J/k. I just thought there were too many nice comments and wanted to bring some passion to the passionista! I’m shocked to hear you are one of us. I would have sworn you were part of bach nation. Great blog!

Comment by ilja — January 10, 2013 @ 6:31 pm

9. You know who always look like Walmart sheet? Trista Sutter. Bow legged with those donkey teeth. She is fug. Greedy jealous selfish lil troll who is copying and pasting everything off the net to form a book 200 tards might purchase. Make her go away Bachelor people. She is awful.

Comment by M. Harrison — January 12, 2013 @ 8:11 pm

10. Who designed Ashlee H’s aqua gown? It was grgeous.

Comment by mikell — January 13, 2013 @ 4:57 pm

11. Love your blog Dana! Keep the insights coming!

Comment by http://topreasonstolovethebachelor.blogspot.com/ — January 15, 2013 @ 8:21 am

12. “REVerSE PsYchology!!!..!…”…SmaRT GaL!………..Question:….(i have always wondered this about this in general, and specifically about you and the Bachelor Nation)…. DAna, (for instance) how did/do you know Diseree designed her own gown….is this public knowledge, something you “dug up on internet” … or do you get the “fashion facts” from someone before the show!…..i am a self proclaimed FASHioNista, myself, and i LOVE the styles: good, bad, and Cray-cray….. but i am uber Curious how you and “other’s ” get the “inside” on the TAGs/Labels that are on this “inside!”…..?…?……Besides that question….YOu are FUNny Refreshingly-Smart, and Beautiful!!. (the triple threat!!!)……..PS….hardly anyone can pull off the “ankle bootie” in my opinion…..i have LOTS of reasons why, but that is a whole separate convo…..HOWEVER, YOU, my dear, are ROCKIN’ those booties and the whole outfit, in the photo above!…….givin’ cute lil’ Ems a run for her money….in the style dept!……..keep up the GREAT work! xo ; .) Pam…..

Comment by Pamela B... — January 23, 2013 @ 4:38 am

13. What i do not understood is actually how you’re no longer really much more well-liked than you might be now. You are very intelligent. You already know therefore considerably in terms of this subject, produced me in my opinion believe it from numerous various angles. Its like women and men aren’t interested until it’s one thing to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs excellent. At all times take care of it up!

Comment by http://www.thafancam.com/ — April 9, 2013 @ 9:17 pm

14. This is a topic that is near to my heart.
    .. Take care! Where are your contact details though?

Comment by Hyman — July 16, 2013 @ 3:16 am

15. Hi there, i read your blog occasionally and i own a simillar onne and i was just curious if you get a lot oof spam responses?
    If so how ddo you stop it, any plugin or anything yoou can suggest?
    I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so any assistance is very much appreciated.

Feeel free to visit my web site :: Miamiplasticsurgery.com (Tonya)

Comment by Tonya — February 16, 2014 @ 2:55 pm

16. Minimum 50% HCA There are numerous benefits too taking MaxHealth garcinia
    spicata Cambogia iis pure and boasts a 60 % HCA concentration the optimal concentration.
    Yourr life will not go well if yyou are pregnant, breastfeeding or
    have diabetes.

My site: garcinia cambogia extract (http://wethedeal.com)

Comment by http://wethedeal.com — March 23, 2014 @ 4:16 am

17. The added benefit is that the average adult shouldn’t have any negative reactions when taking the
    supplement and the liver condition. If you are in any doubt about this,
    think about garcinia cambogia 500 mg cambogia 1300mg capsules weight loss
    product, weight. Garcinia Cambogfia Reviews Dr.
    Serotonin is known as hydroxycitric acid also
    known as HCA, which has the effect of HCA in promoting weight loss through
    appetite suppression.

Feel free to surf to my webpage sex dating [http://sex-daters.nl/]

Comment by http://sex-daters.nl/ — March 24, 2014 @ 1:23 pm