DANA WEISS’ BACHELOR FASHION BLOG: EPISODE 5 and 6

winter

Imagine you were told you were going on vacation for three months. You were told to pack without knowing where you were going, what you were doing, what the weather would be like or how long you’d be staying. You’d only know to bring a couple swimsuits, eight formal dresses, casual dresses and jeans. Boots and a winter coat. Hats and gloves. Don’t forget your sundresses. And shorts. Make sure you include a lightweight jacket, winter boots, flip-flops and a full suit of body armour.

Oh, and make sure you can fit it into two suitcases.

That, in a nutshell, is how you pack for The Bachelor.

So it’s no surprise that by week 5, the rose ceremony dresses are looking less like this:

Screen Shot 2013-02-08 at 2.39.08 PM

And more like this:

tierra2

The bachelorettes of Sean Lowe’s season are down to the last of their prom dresses and Forever 21 best. And, recognizing their cute summer outfits had run their course, the Bachelor moved Sean’s ladies to a colder climate where they’d face the inevitable task of looking cute in winter clothes.

Or as I like to think of it: my life.

Sean’s remaining women traded in their strappy sandals and flirty sundresses for wool coats and winter boots to find love, and hopefully not get dead falling off a mountain or glacier.

And that’s where we start this week’s Bachelor fashion recap.

You know, it’s not uncommon on the Bachelor to hear that someone is “not there for the right reason,” and I’m finally understanding what the “right” reason is: Flannel.

This week, Sean’s ladies duked it out on a group date in buffalo checked plaid shirts that the show provided for them. I suspect after downing a jar of warm goat’s milk and ultimately not getting any advantage for it, the winning team from Sean’s first group date burned their plaid shirts. If you’re interested in recreating the date, you can get a similar check shirt at Forever 21, and goat milk at your local farmer’s market.

check

On the dreaded two-on-one date Tierra and Jackie went head to head (and cheetah to cheetah) in competing animal prints. Tierra received the rose, but Jackie was the clear-cut winner in her on-trend color jeans. Sadly, Sean doesn’t seem to pick based on good fashion.

Or sanity.

2on1

Kudos to all the ladies on the Polar Bear Plunge date for stripping down to their skivvies on national television (notsomuch for jumping into freezing water for a guy, because that’s just crazy in my opinion.)

bikini

And honorable mention to Tierra for most dramatic performance in a musical or comedy. And also for fashioning the hypothermic blankets into a makeshift bikini.

1tierra

Oh wait. You mean she bought it that way?

On the group date Sarah J Crew colorblock sequin tank top left a lasting impression with me (even if Sean didn’t feel the connection.) As an aside, I’m pretty sure Sean sent Sarah home early to protect her spotless reputation for gorgeous rose ceremony dresses. That would be the sign of a true gentleman.

sarahsequin

And speaking of the rose ceremony dresses, did anyone else think Tierra’s fur thingy (I don’t know what you’d call that) looked eerily similar to the bearskin hanging on the wall in Montana? You be the judge.

bear fur1

Best dressed:

This week’s best dressed was AshLee with a subtly detailed navy dress by French Connection. She complimented her statement earrings with a simple ponytail, in a look that was clean and sophisticated.

ashLEE 10.06.23 PM

I also loved Catherine, Des and Leslie – each in their own version of the LBD. (Okay, technically, Catherine’s wasn’t little, but it was really pretty) Each lady has her own style, and each showed how a black dress can be simple and sexy at the same time.

black dresses

Worst dressed

My picks for worst dress (not worst dressed) is Lindsay. And Tierra for worst dressed (but not worst dress.)

Let me explain.

lindsay 2.46.40 PM

I really, really want to meet Lindsay. I think she’s bubbly and fun and I suspect she can put down a bottle of wine like a champ, but when it comes to some of her dress choices, I’m constantly giving her the side eye. And that is especially unfortunate, because when I caught her purple tee shirt dress from Monday’s rose ceremony out of the corner of my eye, my first thought was, “is that her bra strap?” This was just a really bad, boring dress. It needed a necklace to add some contrast and would have taken the look from drab to fab.

Or at least, fine.

roseceremony

Tierra, on the other hand, left me utterly confused. I didn’t hate her hi-lo white dress, but I didn’t understand the styling at all. The fur scarf? The nude shoes. This dress was summery, the scarf was après ski and the shoes looked like something my grandmother has in her closet. Want to “winterize” a summer dress? Throw on some ankle boots and a leather jacket, or cowboy boots and a denim jacket. Tierra could have saved this look.

If not her sterling reputation.

So that’s it for this week’s fashion. Next week the ladies are off to St. Croix to wear the last of their bikinis, beach cover-ups and presumably my nerves.

Who were your favorite looks and whose look would you like to push off a glacier? Sound off in the comments below. Want to know where to buy the clothes from the Bachelor? Check out my blog Possessionista.com and like me on Facebook for even more Bachelor fashion?

1. I loved Ashlee’s jewelry on eps 6! Do you know where her bib necklace in the first shot getting to lake Louise is from? Seems to match her statement earrings at the rose ceremony which i also loved! Thanks for the clever as always blog and love the style tips

Comment by Vanessa — February 8, 2013 @ 5:26 pm

2. What about Selma dress?? Do you know The brand? And if they have in other colors? :)
    Love your blog!! Thank you

Comment by Deborah — February 9, 2013 @ 4:05 am

3. Love your blog!

I do believe that the plaid shirts that the girls wore in Montana were TNA from Aritzia. They haven’t got much lovin’ on anyone’s blog but they’re pretty popular in Canada :)

Comment by Courtney — February 9, 2013 @ 8:36 am

4. Does anyone know anything about the boots the girls were wearing during the group date in Lake Louise? They looked like Uggs but with a lace-up going up the front.
    Thanks!

Comment by Christine Chaos — February 9, 2013 @ 1:31 pm

5. I must know where Selma’s yellow rose ceremony dress is from. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment by Bethany — February 10, 2013 @ 6:10 am

6. Curious if you know where I can buy the overnight luggage the girls are all seen packing? They’re red and black graphic pattern with wheels and a pull-up handle! Would love one. Thanks so much :)

Comment by Christina — February 10, 2013 @ 5:13 pm

7. Love Ashlee’s white ruffle sweater under her jean jacket. Do you know the brand name and where I can find it?

Comment by Michele — February 10, 2013 @ 8:56 pm

8. Hi guys!

Yes, the luggage is Jenni Chan.

I’m going to ask about Ashlee’s sweater, do you remember if it was episode 5 or 6?

I haven’t heard back from Selma, but I think the dress is “Stop Staring.” I promise to update Possessionista.com when I get the info.

thanks you guys
    xo
    d

Comment by Possessionista — February 11, 2013 @ 5:20 am

9. I always love what you write, Dana – whether it’s here, on your blog, or on Twitter (your posts often make me laugh out loud.) Just thought I’d take the opportunity to tell you how impressed I am with you taking your natural talents and turning them into a career!

Comment by Barbara — February 11, 2013 @ 8:58 am

10. No mention of how hideous Daniella looked the night of her elimination of? I was SURE someone would bring that up!! I’m not a fashionista by any means but even I knew that her outfit did not look good. She looked way underdressed compared to the other girls and her shoes were God awful!!

Comment by Gina — February 11, 2013 @ 10:11 am

11. Oops, no “of” after “elimination.” Sorry :)

Comment by Gina — February 11, 2013 @ 10:13 am

12. Interesting that you post a picture of a taxiderm bear next to a snarly grizzly..I mean Tierra. I don’t know about the fashion this season… I know these girls have no idea where they’re going to be and all that, and also I’d like to state that if I had ended up in this season of the bachelor I would have left by now, bc Sean, these are not dates, there like my worst nightmares one by one, but anyway, I really think this is the worst dresses bachelor season. Sara was saving it but she got kicked off. Lesley usually looks pretty good, and the rest of the girls are hit or miss. This week at the rose ceremony I’d say worst dressed was Tierra,( Daniella was pretty bad too) best dressed Lesley. I actually really liked her black dress. Maybe once they’re in warmer weather their fashion will improve? Hopefully? Dana, loved your column, as always!! :)

Comment by Megan — February 11, 2013 @ 10:59 am

13. I love the shorts Ashlee wears on the beach in St. Croix…where can I get them???

Comment by Leigh — February 11, 2013 @ 5:34 pm

14. Looking for the Dress that Leslie wore at the rose ceremony on the February 11 episode. Any insight?

Comment by Jan — February 11, 2013 @ 9:01 pm

15. Hi, I’m looking for the hot pink/red strapless maxi dress Tierra was wearing when Sean sent her home…any help?? Thanx!!

Comment by Meg — February 11, 2013 @ 10:10 pm

16. Do you know where Leslie’s adorable coral short/sheer pants came from last night? They were so pretty!

Comment by Amy Smith — February 12, 2013 @ 2:12 pm

17. I’m impressed, I have to say. Really hardly ever do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you might have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the problem is something that not sufficient people are speaking intelligently about. I am very joyful that I stumbled across this in my seek for something referring to this.

Comment by navy blue shoes — February 14, 2013 @ 8:12 am

18. I love your blog!!!
    I have a question, maybe you can help: Do you know where I can get a makeup mirror like the one Tierra was using (handheld, light up) when getting ready for the group date on the 2nd part of this 2-night Bachelor?
    Thanks!!

Comment by Question — February 15, 2013 @ 2:36 pm

19. I was wondering where Seans black leather jacket he wears is from? My boyfriend would look HOT in it..LOL

Comment by Debra — February 22, 2013 @ 11:11 am

20. I love AshLee’s clear statement earrings she wore with the navy dress and Lesley’s sheer coral skirt… Any idea where they got these? Thanks!

Comment by Lauren — February 25, 2013 @ 5:13 pm

21. Any idea where Lesley M’s pink hi lo skirt is from on their last one on one date??

Comment by Kailee — February 27, 2013 @ 4:52 am

22. Love reading your comments! Here’s a Sean style question…He always had these really LONG shorts (he’s super tall right?) Well for years Ive been searching for shorts for my 6’4″, Florida living huz and cant find any that dont look like they came from the Big and Tall store (old man shorts). How do I find out where Sean got all his extra long/stylish shorts???

Comment by laurie — March 25, 2013 @ 6:31 am

23. Hi do you know where Lesley’s long white dress is from in the Rose ceremony episode 7 in St Croix?? I’ve been looking EVERYWHERE and cannot find it!!!

Comment by Hallie — August 21, 2013 @ 4:20 am

24. Hі! I simply wоuld likе to offer you a huge thumbs uр for yоur excellent informatiοn you have got
    right hеre on thiѕ post. I аm returning tо
    your web site for morе soоn.

Comment by Backlink Commando Review — December 13, 2013 @ 6:47 am