DANA WEISS’ BACHELOR FASHION BLOG: EPISODE 8

lindsaydes catherine ashlee

Considering that I’ve never actually been on the Bachelor (except last night one of my tweets was, and that was awesome) I really try to focus on the fashion of the show. So I was surprised that they still expected me to write about the hometown dates, because, let’s be honest, it was like the clearance rack from Forever21.

No, seriously, half the clothes this week were from the sale rack at Forever21.

Let me back up. I have no problem with Forever21. Some of my best friends shop at Forever21. But after being away from home, living out of a suitcase, and now being back in civilization, that was the best these ladies could find in their closets?

Let’s start with AshLee who gets it right a whole lot more often than she gets it wrong. She killed it last week with that off-the-shoulder yellow rose ceremony dress, and even though I hated the whole Free People crochet flower dress from her first one-on-one with Sean, lots of people loved it. (Lots of people love McDonalds too. Doesn’t make it good. Just saying.) But this week, AshLee put her heart on the line.

And her taste out the window.

1ashlee

Honestly, you guys, I had to rewind to make sure this was actually AshLee. The flannel tied at her waist like Mary Ann from Gilligan’s island. The nude ballet flats? AshLee couldn’t have tried less. This is the outfit I wear to drive my kids to preschool. (Okay, that’s a lie. I wear yoga pants. Yeah, glass houses. I know.) And before you tell me her outfit was cute and practical, just remember, AshLee’s twitter profile refers to herself as a “fashionista,” so I kinda expect her to bring it.

But this week, it wasn’t brought’n. Like, at all.

catherinecatherinesister

Moving onto Catherine’s date, I had to ask myself, “What does one wear to catch dead fish?” Apparently in Seattle, a brightly colored sweater and edgy leather jacket. This was, by far Catherine’s best fashion week. (We’ll get to the rose ceremony in a mo’) Sadly, Cat was overshadowed by her sister in a really fun colorblock top from Urban Outfitters. Seriously. Where has that girl been all season?

lindsay

Lindsay’s date is the part where I knew that if Bachelor fashion is a battle of wills, then I’m losing the war. Lindsay wore a white blouse with lace insets and gold buttons. Let me repeat that for you: white blouse. I haven’t seen so many people so frantic to track down an item they saw on TV since Michelle Obama wore Jason Wu to the inauguration. Sorry, Lindsay, you’re no Michelle Obama. And that shirt is no Jason Wu. (It’s Forever21.)

1des

And then there was Des. A moment of silence for Des, with whom I agree. Sean made a huge mistake. Not kicking her brother’s ass. The date started out with my biggest nightmare: exercise. Later we got to see where Des lives (not a tent) and she wore an olive colored open-back top from Urban Outfitters. Presumably to make it easier for her brother to stab her in the back.

roseceremony

And then there was the rose ceremony.

Des is a smart girl, so I loved her strategy: dress like an Oscar and plant a subliminal message in Sean’s head that picking her would make him a winner. Sadly, Sean isn’t looking for a trophy wife and he sent my favorite little statuette back to her shelf. Oh well. It was an honor just to be nominated. Cue music.

Lindsay definitely took a fashion risk with this mesh inset skater dress, reminiscent of Kacie B’s first night. I’m conflicted on this dress because on one hand, I don’t get it. The mesh is so slutty. The skirt is so girly. And yet…I kind of liked it. Whatevs, I know a lot of you (okay like 3 of you because no one reads this column; not even my mother) will hate it and say it’s skanky and cheap (it is) but I think it really fit Lindsay’s style – it’s playful and fun. And with enough alcohol, you just might get to see another side of it, too.

Catherine put her heart out there this rose ceremony. And when I say heart, I mean boobs. This was Catherine’s most interesting dress to date. Even though it lacked the wallpaper inspired prints that Catherine usually gravitates towards, this dress had a great silhouette and I loved the black on black striped detailing. Maybe she borrowed it from her sister?

And last but definitely least is AshLee who is. in. love. with. this. man. But I was not in. love. with. that. dress. AshLee’s rose ceremony fashion has been nearly unfaltering all season, so I’m giving her a pass, but you can see that love is clouding her judgment and presumably her mirror as well.

Next week the remaining three ladies go on romantic overnight dates where Sean reveals his Virgin Bachelor Us Weekly cover story and they all pray for my soul.

Just kidding. I’m a lost cause.

See you next week.

Wondering where you can buy the clothes you’ve seen on the Bachelor? Check out my blog Possessionista.com, and follow me on Twitter and Facebook because judging by how few people ever comment, I have no friends in real life.

1. Hilarious! Thanks for writing! I agree, what on earth was AshLee thinking with that wardrobe?! Love has gone to the brain!

Comment by Michelle — February 20, 2013 @ 11:19 am

2. You are so funny and I agree with your fashions. I thought DES and Catherine looked amazing at the rose ceremony … But Ashlee started dressing like an old lady. The date outfit and the rose ceremony outfit were both awful. Lindsey continues to dress cheesy this whole time but I Loved DES lin the olive top …sorry only place I disagree :)

Comment by Sosh — February 20, 2013 @ 11:20 am

3. “Presumably to make it easier for her brother to stab her in the back.”
    OMG – LOL!!!!

Comment by Karen — February 20, 2013 @ 11:31 am

4. “Presumably to make it easier for her brother to stab her in the back.”

Seriously just lost it in class. Coughed as a cover up, but I was totally busted. Worth it.

Comment by B — February 20, 2013 @ 12:13 pm

5. AshLee’s outfit on her hometown date reminded me of my high school days when I would go to the Halloween dances dressed as a cow girl, except I’d have on booty shorts and much more boobage. This outfit is totally okay as long as there’s booty shorts and boobage involved.

I wasn’t a fan of any of the outfits Des wore this week. I didn’t like Catherine’s look during the date. The sweater was a pretty color, but she had on what looked like to me yoga pants with huge bell bottoms and she was carrying a HEINOUS bag. Linday’s date outfit was cute, nothing special. Her ankle boots looked really cute though. I thought her rose ceremony dress was adorable actually. The skirt, like you said, made it girly. Plus it doesn’t look like she has huge boobs so the mesh isn’t too slutty.

I’m really hoping he picks Lindsay. If not I’m hoping she’s the next bachelorette. She’s super cute so if she actually gets someone to style her week after week it would be cool to see!

Comment by Ashley — February 20, 2013 @ 12:25 pm

6. Miss AshLee has a troublesome background. Getting married young because you do not get along with your parents speaks of a girl who manipulates people. She wants Sean no matter what she has to do. Her clothes say what kind of girl she is.

Comment by Spencer Clarkson — February 20, 2013 @ 12:37 pm

7. Cool blog!

Comment by Arch — February 20, 2013 @ 2:34 pm

8. @Spencer Clarkon- I think you are wrong in your judgement. Yes, she had a hard background and yes she shouldn’t have gotten married that young, but I don’t feel that that means she is manipulative. I don’t know where you got that idea from. I am not a foster child nor am I adopted, but I do have two adopted siblings and I can understand why AshLee has such a hard time with trust and why she so desperately wants love. More than anything, I think AshLee really just wants someone who will show her the love and care she didn’t get in her first few years of life, and someone who will never abandon her. I do think that she still needs a bit of help to fully leave her past, but I also think that she will make someone very happy in the future.
    @Dana- Sorry for writing a whole essay up there. lol. I was just frustrated that he/she doesn’t seem to get the long term affects of foster care and/or adoption. Anyway, great blog as always! Saw your tweet on the show last night and was so excited for you :) Hope you have a great week and stay warm! Sure is cold in Chicago (even for us Chicagoans. LOL).

Comment by Beth H. — February 20, 2013 @ 3:03 pm

9. I forgot one thing,sorry. Spencer, judging someone based on their clothes is the definition of shallow.

Comment by Beth H. — February 20, 2013 @ 3:05 pm

10. Reasons I watch the Bachelor (or Bachelorette)….to read Possessionistas most hilarious tweets…..and now this column. So freaking funny, and bang on. Love it!

Comment by Marlene — February 20, 2013 @ 4:32 pm

11. ”I have no problem with Forever21. Some of my best friends shop at Forever21.” – subtle, best line. Keep up the great work ;)

Comment by Casey S. — February 20, 2013 @ 7:45 pm

12. Ok, so I have been reading blogs where the writer says they loved Ashlee’s hometown outfit! I also hated it, and I hated her RC dress. I think she has been spot on in fashion the rest of the season (I loved the FP dress). I was wondering if her parents made her dress conservatively while she grew up… Idk… Maybe. It seemed like she was trying to be sexy/conservative…

Catherine and her sister definitely had the best outfits of hometowns! Oh… I LOVED Lindsey’s dress. I would be too afraid to go that low, but I loved it.

Comment by GLink — February 20, 2013 @ 10:46 pm

13. I’m sorry. You’re supposed to be the fashion expert or something? Ummm……..right, ok. Moving on. Thanks. :/

Comment by Honest — February 20, 2013 @ 10:49 pm

14. @Beth H.-ummm, do you need a job, a friend, some therapy? Why do I think I’m going to end up seeing you on the show, “Catfish” someday and you’ll be in the middle of an online “relationship” with one of the rejected Bachelor contestants? :/

Comment by Honest — February 20, 2013 @ 10:53 pm

15. What shoes was Sean wearing when meeting AshLee’s parents? They are not the converse original from later in the episode. Thanks!

Comment by Eric — February 21, 2013 @ 8:16 am

16. @Honest- Wow, you’re not very nice. My comment had zero to do with you. I was just giving AshLee the benefit of the doubt. And no I will never be on Catfish or The Bachelor. I don’t lie about who I am on any social media site. Beth is my real name. Holler is my last name. The Bachelor(ette) contestants are way too old for me. Btw, I am in therapy but not for anything that is your damn business. I have great friends,thank you. I am still in college right now and don’t have a job at the moment, but that is irrelevant. I think you need to refrain from leaving comments on these blogs if you can’t say anything positive or at least constructive (i.e. HOW the bloggers can do better, not just that you didn’t like their blogs). @Dana- Ignore the above. Hope you are having a fantastic Thursday!

Comment by Beth H. — February 21, 2013 @ 10:19 am

17. @ Beth – this show is the definition of shallow. Hello – you are reading a column about people’s clothes on a fake reality show.
    P.S. None of these pseudo celebs will be on anyone’s radar when this show’s lifespan ends.

Comment by Robyn — February 21, 2013 @ 4:30 pm

18. This is not my first time watching the batchelor. This guy is gorgeous and too good to be true. I feel so bad for any of the girls that didn’t snag him. He is one in a million. Too bad he can’t be cloned. I can only dream of a man like Sean for any one of my 3 granddaughters. Yes, I’m a grandma of 68, but I am still able to appreciate a georgeous man like Sean. He gave me a feeling that I haven’t had in many years. I guess that makes me a cougar, but I not dead yet. I’d love a lifesize poster of Sean if anyone knows where I can get one! Want to see more like him!

Comment by Ann Moore — February 21, 2013 @ 4:47 pm

19. You’ve got a hilarious blog going, Dana. Glad you liked my outfit, thanks for the props! And, no, that dress was ALL my sisters (she’s got the boobs to pull it off).

Comment by Monica — February 21, 2013 @ 5:07 pm

20. omfg someone wants a tv character edited to perfection on a dating show, moping around with 20 women, saying the same flattering things to multiple women…for their grandkids??? poor poor grandkids. get a grip grandma!

i love possionista’s blog btw.

Comment by perception — February 21, 2013 @ 5:15 pm

21. @Robyn- I know the show is shallow. I don’t care. I just don’t think it is fair to judge a REAL person (one you don’t even know) by what they’re wearing. If I upset you/offended you, I’m sorry. As a female, it is my inclination to defend another female when they are being unfairly judged.

Comment by Beth H. — February 21, 2013 @ 6:33 pm

22. @Robyn-ditto on everything you said.
    @Beth H.-I’m really happy to hear you’re in therapy. I still think you’ll end up on Catfish someday. The only advice I can give you or anyone else who takes this show too seriously and is delusional enough to think these people are celebs is JUST SAY NO(to drugs).
    @Possesionista-seriously? No words.
    Love,
    Jaclyn’s mom ;)

Comment by Honest — February 22, 2013 @ 2:27 am

23. Does anyone know where you can buy the dress that Linday wore at the last rose ceremony?

Comment by Maggie — February 22, 2013 @ 6:02 am

24. Maggie, I think Lindsay’s dress was Bebe. If you go to Possessionista, I have a link to the dress.

Comment by Possessionista — February 22, 2013 @ 6:13 am

25. @Honest or Jaclyn’s mom- STFU. I don’t think the Bachelor(ette) alums are celebs. I think they are REAL people with feelings and that’s why I stick up for them. I don’t know how many times I have to tell you that I am NOT going to end up on Catfish nor will I EVER Catfish anyone. I don’t take drugs and I am not crazy. I actually think you should go to therapy since you’re so concerned about me and since you generally have a negative mindset. Btw, I am not in therapy for anything related to being delusional or anything relating to reality tv, I am in it for something that is not your damn business. @Dana- I am sorry to leave comments like this on your wonderful blog, but I just can’t sit around and let people attack me without defending myself.

Comment by Beth H. — February 22, 2013 @ 8:04 am

26. That’s weird you go on another blog to reply to Honest. How about having the conversation honestly right here on your own blog?

Comment by Honestly — February 22, 2013 @ 12:03 pm

27. That’s weird for a blogger to go on another blog to reply to Honest. How about having the conversation honestly right here on your own blog?

Comment by Honestly — February 22, 2013 @ 12:04 pm

28. @Beth H please stop talking to the troll. It makes you look like one too (which you are not).

Comment by Maura — February 22, 2013 @ 12:48 pm

29. Hey Honest or Honestly- were you the same person posting on these blogs last year as “Curiouser?” All of this sounds all too familiar.

Comment by Sue — February 22, 2013 @ 12:58 pm

30. “That’s weird for a blogger to go on another blog to reply to Honest.”

Weirder than trolling the Bachelor website?

“How about having the conversation honestly right here on your own blog?”

Sure. Just as soon as you use your real name. You sure are brave when you don’t have to be held accountable for your actions.

Comment by Possessionista — February 22, 2013 @ 1:11 pm

31. @Maura- Thanks for the advice! I really do appreciate it! I am not going to respond to him/her anymore if they post on here or any of the blogs again.

Comment by Beth H. — February 22, 2013 @ 2:05 pm

32. I love you for doing what you do!! I love watching the show knowing I can find any piece I fall in love with, thanks to you! Keep it up!! It’s appreciated!!

Comment by Brin — February 22, 2013 @ 2:56 pm

33. @Sue, I agree – it does seem like Honest = Curiouser

Comment by Sarah Whitney — February 22, 2013 @ 4:08 pm

34. @Possesionista how lame that you actually use a funny comment made by @Honest as material for your Twitter. She mentions the show Catfish jokingly in all her comments on everyone’s blogs here and you steal her joke to pass it off as your own. I guess you’re just another Ash Spivey stealing everyone else’s material. A sure sign of a bad writer is unoriginality. No wonder you’re stuck in Bachelor world.

Comment by Andy D — February 22, 2013 @ 4:27 pm

35. Andy – here are tweets of mine relating to Catfish, dating back to December of 2012.

Thanks for playing.

And I’m not stuck in Bachelor world. I’m stuck in the suburbs. Way less cool.

Comment by Possessionista — February 23, 2013 @ 12:14 pm

36. oh, and thanks for following me on Twitter, Andy!

Comment by Possessionista — February 23, 2013 @ 12:51 pm

37. I missed your Tweet on STA – bummer! I love your sense of humor and quick wit.
    The comments section though, leaves a lot to be desired! I can skip it.

Comment by BSheer — February 23, 2013 @ 6:31 pm

38. How could anyone get excited over a tweet being on TV

Comment by Really — February 24, 2013 @ 8:36 am

39. @Possesionista sorry but I’m not following you on Twitter. Check your followers. I looked you up to see who the lamos were on this site. The fact that you think the Bachelor franchise is cool says it all. Good luck!

Comment by Andy D — February 24, 2013 @ 9:36 am

40. Hi Dana, I’m just sending you some love because you and Natalie make my week. I’ve enjoyed your blog silently for many seasons. Don’t worry about not getting many comments, most aren’t worth reading (see above). Keep up the good work, research, and educating the masses about good fashion!

Comment by Also Susan — February 25, 2013 @ 10:35 pm

41. Susan you are a fake – what a self-serving message from someone affiliated with the bach enterprise.

Comment by Really — February 26, 2013 @ 7:11 am

42. Im so excited to find your blog! Please if you know of the blue dress Lindsay wore at the rose ceremony in Thailand, I would love to know

Comment by Joy — February 27, 2013 @ 9:20 am