Dana Weiss’ Fashion Blog: Episode 1

Last spring I had the opportunity to volunteer some of my time helping to procure gently used dresses for high school students who’d been affected by the storms in the South, so that they could attend their proms. And I’ve often wondered what happened to those dresses that nobody wanted.

Wonder no more.

Because, while the premier of Ben Flajnik’s season of the Bachelor didn’t disappoint, I can’t say the same for the rose ceremony dresses. Though I’d been warned prior to the premier  that I wasn’t going to be impressed by Monday night’s formal wear, I would never have predicted so many missteps.

If I didn’t know better I might actually believe some of these women are here for love!

Unfortunately, those who were there for the “right” reasons were often the same who were there in the “wrong” dresses.

The bad:

Dresses the illustrate how their “hearts” are in the right place

Erica and fan favorite Jamie (yes I know this isn’t going to make some people happy) both squeezed themselves into sequin, cutout dresses reminiscent of sausage casings. And speaking of breakfast proteins, we also got more than a taste of Canadian Amber’s Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity Chiffon Gown just before Ben sent home the Bacon.

Also filed under: “heart in the right place/dress in the wrong category?” Shawn in her Teenage Mutant Ninja costume. Her, lime green dress was only upstaged by the rhinestone encrusted snake detail. Unless Ben speaks parseltongue, Shawn should shed this reptilian frock before it starts molting on its own.

Diana in Nicole Miller

There’s nothing sadder than seeing a girl crying in her wedding dress.

Wait, yes there is.

It’s seeing a girl, crying in her wedding dress surrounded by 24 other chicks who are trying to snag the groom.

Diana wore a Nicole Miller wedding dress on her first date.  Proving what they say is true. It’s bad luck for the groom to see you in the wedding dress before the big day.

Especially if it’s the first time you’re meeting.

The Good:

Faring better in her Bachelor fashion? Real life Carrie Bradshaw, Jenna Burke, who proved herself a true fashion blogger by waxing iPhilosophical about love. In defense of my fellow bloggerista, if you haven’t had a moment of overemotional waterworks over a boy you barely know whilst overserved, then you obviously didn’t go to a Big Ten school.And sure, maybe Jenna could have spruced up the dress with some jewelry, but even a Serena Van Der Woodsen sized statement necklace couldn’t have distracted us from Jenna’s major meltdown.Jenna’s white sequin dress is by JCrew, but just like Jenna’s meds the night of the first rose ceremony, is not available.
Jenna’s white, sequin dress: JCrew Confetti Flapper Dress
Okay, stay with me here. Casey as a best dressed? I know what a lot of you are thinking about the sheer bustier dress: she forgot her skirt.

I’ll confess when I first saw this picture before the show I was worried that Bachelor stylist Cary Fetman  had raided the clearance sale from the set of The Playboy Club to dress Casey, but when I saw her standing later in the evening, I sort of got the dress.

Admittedly, not my favorite, but at least it looks like a dress from this decade.

Casey S in Shakuhachi
I’ve often been asked by aspiring bachelorettes (that’s not a euphemism, btw) for how to choose that first dress. Ask any former contestant and they’ll tell you it’s the single most stressful decision you’ll make. (Michelle Money actually special ordered her dress from Beyonce.)  The best advice I’ve given, if I do say so myself, is to pick the dress you’d want to be wearing if you were to run into your ex-boyfriend.

It should not be the dress you were wearing at prom when he dumped you.

Are we clear here?

When Kacey stepped out of the limousine the first thing I thought was, “Wow! Why does she spell her name that way,” but then I realized I’d probably have to wait until the hometown dates if I’m ever going to get an answer on that one.

So my second thought was, “that’s how you do it.”

Kacey dazzled in sequins, and while it might not be the most adventurous look of the night, it also didn’t leave me with metaphors about breakfast meats or Harry Potter.

And that has to count for something, right?

What was your favorite and least favorite look of the night? Leave your comments below.

Dana Weiss of www.Possessionista.com recaps the fashion of her favorite shows including the Bachelor, Bachelorette and Bachelor Pad. Follow her on TwitterFacebook, and check out her fashion blog   www.Possessionista.com  every week for more posts about Bachelor Fashion.

1. Dana always hits the nail on the head. I think this is the Bachelor’s first ever “new breed” — for once, a guy that has more to offer than some big muscles and a hot head, but apparently the trade off is girls in ugly prom dresses? Jenna had a beautiful JCrew dress, which is fundamentally disappointing because she’s just not going to recover from that meltdown… Otherwise, I spent most of the night trying to move past the horrific dresses. I really hope the style gets better from here on out! Kudos to the very, very few who looked great; consider all those awful ensembles your “fat friend” for the night because they certainly made you look much better in comparison.

Comment by Alyssa — January 5, 2012 @ 6:21 pm

2. Worst looking bunch of women I have ever seen as far as hai makeup and dresses

Comment by Martha — January 6, 2012 @ 3:59 am

3. Best dress was the girl on the horse and Rachel’s red dress. Didn’t like the yellow print one, and you are so right about those first two with the huge cleavage. I feel bad for Ben – what a bunch of nut jobs!

Comment by Clarissa R. — January 6, 2012 @ 4:09 am

4. Amazing rundown, Dana. Hilarious, as always.

Comment by Jane — January 6, 2012 @ 4:19 am

5. Where did you guys find this hilarious blogger? Her comments were all spot on. Look forward to coming back for more each week. Bravo!

Comment by Lisadee2 — January 6, 2012 @ 4:28 am

6. Great recap. Love the big 10 reference… so true.

Comment by hannah — January 6, 2012 @ 4:33 am

7. Someone needs to find a copy editor to proofread articles like these prior to posting. There are way too many spelling errors and grammar mistakes here.

Comment by A. — January 6, 2012 @ 5:40 am

8. Yay! I love this blog. Perfect recap of fashion and you’re making it more real for the viewers by adding where the dresses are from, as well as providing us with pictures. Classy and tasteful (with some humor). Love it.

Comment by Elizabeth — January 6, 2012 @ 7:20 am

9. Brilliant recap, Dana! I am so excited to read this blog every week!

Comment by Danielle — January 6, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

10. Hey “A” – why don’t you do a rundown of all the spelling/grammar mistakes on my column and then I’ll forward them onto the folks at Warner Brothers to make those changes.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I love your texts on Pretty Little Liars!

Comment by Possessionista — January 6, 2012 @ 1:13 pm

11. Dana has the most incredible rhetoric for sizing up the fashion we want to know about and also those ensembles we want to laugh about! Keepit coming, great read! Love you Possessionista!

Comment by Debbie — January 6, 2012 @ 1:23 pm

12. Hilarious review….I missed the first episode but will be watching next week and will look forward to your take on it! I read your possessionista blog every day as well, love fashion, love TV, AND I’m from Chicago (I think you live here too?), so I think we have a lot in common!

Comment by Joyce — January 6, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

13. SPOT ON DANA! This season of Bachelorettes has by far the WORST fashion, hair & make up I have seen in a looooooong time. Even the girls from the episodes in the early 2000′s look better. I was totally horrified by all of their choices. Seriously?! And of course the best dressed, in my opinion, Jenna is a complete psycho. Oh what an interesting season this will be… hopefully the fashion gets better. It can only go up when you’ve hit rock bottom, right?

Comment by Lindsee — January 6, 2012 @ 3:50 pm

14. As always, Dana nails it. Look forward to reading weekly!
    Bravo!

Comment by Lisa hanson — January 6, 2012 @ 3:51 pm

15. hahahaha

This recap is almost better than the breakdowns!

Comment by k14 — January 6, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

16. I love you Dana!

Comment by Stephanie — January 6, 2012 @ 5:50 pm

17. Parseltounge- ha! Great review.

Comment by Christine — January 6, 2012 @ 6:19 pm

18. SO excited to see you as a blogger here too! I’ve followed Possessionista forever and am thrilled you’ll get more exposure with this one!

Comment by Liz — January 6, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

19. “In defense of my fellow bloggerista, if you haven’t had a moment of overemotional waterworks over a boy you barely know whilst overserved, then you obviously didn’t go to a Big Ten school” -LOVE IT. This Big Ten girl knows all about that haha

Comment by Dana — January 6, 2012 @ 8:47 pm

20. Hahaha love it, every single word so true! I am team Jenna (great dress) even tho she had a college girl meltdown, but I am pretty sure that tree in purple taffeta who was lusting after her fellow b-Ettes and not the bachelor would have sent me crying to the bathroom too! Keep it up Dana! I love p-ista!!!

Comment by K — January 6, 2012 @ 9:24 pm

21. HAHA — Jenna’s meds missing. Totally True. Great Post!

Comment by Sharona — January 6, 2012 @ 11:18 pm

22. Yes, yes. Dana speaks the truth. Dana, keep up the great columns! Love you.

Comment by KP — January 6, 2012 @ 11:43 pm

23. Loved this recap! I’ll gladly take a dose of bad fashion if if comes with a side of Dana. Is it wrong I watch shows just to see what Dana writes about?

Comment by karen — January 7, 2012 @ 1:47 am

24. Too bad you had to mention the stylist – that suckup towards the show kind of ruined your objectivity, didn’t it?

Comment by Allissa — January 19, 2012 @ 12:52 am

25. You can go to multiple websites owned by different
    insurance companies, or compare many insurance companies using one insurance quote
    service. All car owners must get this type of cover
    in order to drive legally. Take the time to ask your insurer how your policy
    is affected by your credit and if there are old debts that are raising
    your premiums take care of them today so that you can pay less in Texas auto insurance tomorrow.

Comment by Buying Clear-Cut Options Of auto insurance — August 14, 2013 @ 12:35 am