David Good’s Bachelorette Blog: Episode 1

The Bachelorette Emily’s Season
David Goods Blog Episode 1

Welcome back to The Bachelorette with my girl Emily Maynard!

I want to start out by saying that Emily is one of the better people that I have met throughout this whole process and someone that I have a lot of respect for. Blogging this season is a tad more personal for me. The fact a child is involved (more on that in a bit) also plays a role.

It is easy to judge someone as beautiful as Emily in a jealous or superficial way but I have to say that from the time I have spent with her and talked with her she is as down to earth and as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside.

I am getting a lot of questions about her daughter Ricki. I have thought about this a lot because I always look after and take the kids side first. I can also tell you that Emily does as well. Ricki is her world. With that being said that does not mean she is making the right decisions in everyone’s eyes. I really want some feedback from some MOMS out there. What is your opinion on this? Would you do it?

I personally am torn between my thoughts. On one hand Emily is not just looking for a husband but a father for her child. How does Ricki view this? It has got to be hard for a 6 year old to see mommy on TV with all kinds of different guys and think this is the way to find a daddy or husband. My biggest concern is how is this going to affect her in the future? How is she going to view relationships when she is 18 or 21? Can you say major daddy issues?

My second thought is that Emily has for sure talked with Ricki about what is going on and always tries to put her first in the whole scenario. There are plenty of kids who have been through WAY worse. In kids eyes it can’t be much different than an actor’s kid and watching your parents on TV or movies. When I think about it this way it all seems ok.

My final thought on this is that above everything else Emily is a good mother and if this is the path she wants to take I support her in it because I know she is looking out for her daughter first and foremost. Although I can’t wait to have 3 or 4 of my own (please god not all girls) I am not a parent so my thoughts don’t hold much weight. I Really want to see what ya’ll think about this as mothers or fathers out there.

Emily steps out of the limo and looks absolutely stunning! She talks to Chris (who has still not aged in 20 years and looks great) about Brad and her journey but I am so over that, so we will skip to meeting the guys!

Instead of talking about every single one of them I am going to rate my top 3 entrances and worst 3.

Best:
1. Ryan
2. Doug
3. Charlie (loved his bulldog)
4. Kalon (everyone hated it but I loved it!) Give the guy some props; he flew in, IN A HELICOPTER. Pretty awesome.

Worst: This was a 3 way of circus clowns for the #1 spot as worst:
1. Randy (He made me feel so weird and I am sitting at home)
1. Stevie (your not meeting an 18 year old girl dude)
1. Jackson (fitness model) Douche 101 (I know he had on Ed Hardy under that)
2. Joe… AKA Mr. Bouncy

I get a different kind of feeling here. Emily is not here to be amused by little eggs and skateboards. I feel like she is past that and those intro’s although entertaining are not what is going to stand out to her.

It’s best to just get all nervous and forget what you are going to say like I did. LOL. So embarrassing.

I loved Doug’s note from his son he read to her. That was super awesome and I think she really liked it.

I know he put a HUGE target on his back by flying in a helicopter to the spot but don’t dislike him for that. He did set himself up to be hated by EVERYONE in the house with that move. If you had a helicopter you probably would fly in that way too. Let’s see how he acts with the guys in the house in the future before we judge just because he has $$$.

Arie has a racing background and when he tells Em this she seems to be totally ok with it and that is good to see. I like him so far.

The First Impression Rose goes to Doug! I am glad he got it because they seemed to have chemistry and he has the same life experience that she does having a kid and all. Good pick.

I think she did an awesome job picking and sending guys home. WAIT! THIS GUY HAS 6 KIDS!!! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! What are you even doing on this show? Why did they let you on the show? She wants a husband not a full time baby-sitting job.

WOW! Told you Jackson was a clown. He just took his shirt off in his OUTRO. (I’ll give the guy credit he is shredded and looks good) but go apply for Jersey Shore, sir.

Overall I am very impressed with ABC and the job they did picking guys for Emily. I think she has the best group I have seen in a long time…(since Jillian’s season 5 actually) ;) but for real good guys for her to choose from.

I am excited to watch this season! I am going to have a competition for my website www.GHNFitness.com as to which guy you all think has the worst and best physique when the shirts start coming off. More on that next blog but I’ll be needing your input to pick the winner.

Have a great week!

1. Always great to read your blogs, you always keep it real. I have nothing but respect for Emily, she seems to be a wonderful Mom. This is quite an adventure for her and I am sure she will always put Ricki first as we have seen from Brad’s season. It’s not as if she (Ricki)will be meeting all of the men on this season. I hope that this works out for Emily and Ricki, have some early favorites and can’t wait to watch the journey and read your blogs!

Comment by Caroline — May 18, 2012 @ 11:36 am

2. Great blog! As a mother of 3, I feel that Emily is truly in it for love! At the same time looking for a father figure for Ricki. Although there are VERY few guys in this season that seem ready to be a father right away. I wonder if she will let Ricki watch the show. Regardless, Ricki will probably have daddy issues whether Emily ever went on the show or not! I also think that Emily is great mother and we do everything possible to guide Ricki down the right path. My gut is telling me that she does not find love through this journey. I didn’t see any instant chemisrty with any of the guys, but maybe we will see more next episode!

Comment by Maryann — May 18, 2012 @ 11:44 am

3. So glad you decided to blog this season! I am still in love with your risky-to-post “Courtney is a sociopath” post from last season. I know you got a lot of heat for it, but it was an amazing read and was pretty darn insightful, IMHO!

This season is going to be especially interesting because of Little Ricki. I felt the same way watching Mesnick’s season. When there’s a kid involved, it totally changes the “reality TV” game. I just hope these dudes step up to the challenge because if there were ever a time to “do this show for the right reasons” this would be it!

Comment by Penny Farthing — May 18, 2012 @ 12:09 pm

4. Aw I have a feeling we’re about to see the soft side of Dave Good this season!

Comment by Crystal — May 18, 2012 @ 12:10 pm

5. Well, you want our thoughts, and I personally am not watching this season. I really feel it is inappropriate for a single mother to try and find love on TV. I agree with you that it will probably not affect Ricki now, it is later in life when she googles her mothers name and sees all the videos of her mom making out with many different men that she will be most affected.

I only started watching this show with Jillian, so I want you to know that I feel the same about a single father, such as Jason. I just think it is wrong.

If single, young individuals want to pursue love on TV, they are not hurting anyone else. That is not the case here. I believe Emily is a great mother and deserves to find love, but just not in this manner.

Also, can you please stop referring to her as “my girl.” That is a very possessive way of describing a female friend.

I should clarify that I am not only not watching this season because Emily is a single mother, but also because I have had enough of the games that these producers play with the lives of the individuals who choose to come on this show. I think that they can produce a show about love without exploiting and ridiculing those involved. It is not funny, and they would not like these games to be played with their loved ones.

I enjoy reading your perspective, so I will keep up to date on Emily’s journey through you and your fellow Bachelor(ette) castmates. I wish her the best.

Comment by TJ — May 18, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

6. If you’re going to write a blog, please spell things correctly. The shortened version of “you are” is “you’re”, NOT “your”! UGH.

Comment by Anon — May 18, 2012 @ 12:14 pm

7. Love the blog Dave! Emily said in an interview that she told Ricki she was doing some sort of intense home video that she could see later in life. So I am not sure Ricki knows 100% what is going on. I like that- Emily has to protect her as much as she wants to find love. I think that she can find it and protect her at the same time. I applaud Emily for going back and trying this again. She is a great Mom and I do not see a problem with her trying to find love on TV. Who am I to tell someone how they can and can’t fall in love with someone. Team Emily :)

Comment by Samantha — May 18, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

8. Good to see how sensitive you are towards her daughter, especially since you’re not a dad yourself….yet!!! :-) Yes, she wants to find love but more importantly she is concerned about Ricky. I do like Doug….so far! It might change from week to week!! Hopeing you also find someone wonderful you can spend your life with. I think you’d be a great dad! Just remember to treat your wife like the princess she was meant to be!! :-) :-) :-) happy wife…happy life!!! :-)

Comment by jean — May 18, 2012 @ 12:23 pm

9. I like your thoughts Dave. I personally would never go on TV to find a husband, let alone a father for my daughter. I would keep my personal life….personal. But everyone in life does it differently. I like Emilly. She is beautiful especially on the inside. Favorites so far: Charlie, Jef and Sean.

Comment by sal — May 18, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

10. I love your blogs, Dave. Welcome back! I am a recently divorced mother of a daughter Ricki’s age. I don’t see anything wrong with looking for love this way. As long as her daughter is taken care of and loved, I don’t see what the problem would be. She could be dating an abusive idiot and have Ricki witness much worse. My favorites so far are Ryan, Jef and Arie. Helicopter guy irritated me before he even arrived. Too cocky.

Comment by Tracey — May 18, 2012 @ 2:34 pm

11. Love the feedback. Some very good points. @TJ it’s not possessive she is my friend just like I call my boys “MY BOY” she is a girlfriend = “MY GIRL.” Nothing possessive about that once so ever. It’s actually weird that you would even take it that way but I loved the rest of your input!

I still don’t think it is fair to hate the guy in the helicopter (even though very easy) lets see what kind of guy he is. Not saying he won’t be just what everyone thinks but I don’t dislike him just because he is rich. That is small minded jealousy when people do that. Think about it So many people hated him right off the bat without even knowing his name before he even got out. What if he is a super nice guy that just happens to be rich and worked hard for it. GOOD FOR HIM! We shall see though. Not looking good for him right now. LOL

Comment by David Good — May 18, 2012 @ 2:48 pm

12. Fair point, I am just not a “my girl”, “my boy” kind of person. I didn’t get it. Now I do!!

Who would have thought that blogs would be educational!!

Comment by TJ — May 18, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

13. Yes, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being a mother on the Bachelor/Bachelorette if you can stay grounded throughout the whole process. The biggest influence on a child is their parents’ personal relationships, so it’s important to be cautious about entering the wrong one. I think anyone can turn any experience into a positive one with the right attitude. Emily made the right decision. yay!

Comment by elizabeth — May 19, 2012 @ 9:14 am

14. Hi Dave,

I’t great to see you back on the blogs. I am a mom, and want to answer your question.

I definitely think Emily should be careful with dating so many men because she has Ricki, but I think it’s okay for her to do it. She just needs to be more cautious than most — not going on fantasy suites, not making out with every guy, etc. Also, she shouldn’t introduce too many of them to Ricki. Perhaps the final two, and that’s it. Finally, she needs to talk to Ricki about her feelings when she does choose someone more permanently from the show and move slowly and NOT get engaged at the final rose ceremony.

Comment by Phoebe — May 19, 2012 @ 6:14 pm

15. Yes she needs to make her choces carfully but as far as Ricki googling her in the future do you really think that any child any of the people from any of the shows can’t do that so don’t see how that has anything to do with it. As for being a single mom on the show I have two daughters of my own and they tell me every session that I should go on the show they just want me to find someone that will love me and make me happy and I think when she gets older Ricki will see that also.

Comment by Elissa — May 19, 2012 @ 8:50 pm

16. Ryan, Kalon, and Arie!!

Comment by Coco — May 21, 2012 @ 9:13 pm

17. Hi Dave. Read your intro and you are gonna have a tough time being an impartial observer and blogger if you let it be personal since you do have a lot of respect for Emily. With that said and I don’t have anything against her or you but you are gonna have your work cut out for you. Good luck! :)

Comment by Maria C — May 22, 2012 @ 2:21 am

18. that sounds like a fun competition :)

Comment by antonia — May 25, 2012 @ 9:44 am

19. As a single parent of 3 I will just say that going on The Bachelorette to find love is certainly better than going to the bar like so many people do. From what I can see so far, Emily is doing right by her daughter. She doesn’t seem to be kissing on a lot of guys, according to an interview I saw, she’s not even doing the Fantasy suite thing. She’s very cautiously looking for love in a public setting. If anything she’s being a good role model. IMHO

Comment by MamaBear — May 25, 2012 @ 10:55 am

20. I like Doug for Emily.

Comment by Rachael — June 9, 2012 @ 3:56 pm