Michael Stagliano: Episode 5

Courtney’s face is always in a wine glass! I forgot to put that in last week’s blog and have been waiting to write it for 7 days.

Whew! Good to get that one out. Anyone agree here? I keep little notes whil e I watch the episodes to refer to while I write this, and this week I wanted to keep tally marks of how many times I saw Courtney drinking wine. My pen ran out of ink after the group date.

Now onto the episode!

Yikes, I didn’t like this one. I had my face covered a lot of the time, I didn’t agree with anything Ben said or did. Puerto Rico was a giant step in the wrong direction and I have to admit it got me kind of down.

Nicki gets the first one-on-one, and this was a wonderful start. Still love her attitude and her openness with Ben. Her smile is endearing and contagious. Nicki strikes me as someone who takes life not too seriously, but does take it seriously when she needs to. She seems young at heart and strong of mind. Sure of herself and about love, and a few seconds before Ben said it, I said out loud, “Nicki seems like she has a very youthful, playful side to her, like a little kid.” Ben said that almost verbatim before their time together and he certainly seemed to be proved right in that regard.

There date was just a regurgitation of everything we have already seen. We know that Nicki is divorced, wants to find love again, and wants it with Ben. Ben seems mildly attracted to her, likes her attitude and her playfulness, but unfortunately for Nicki, I don’t see any sparks in it for Ben. She gets the rose, but I don’t see to many more in her future. : (

The group date was the highlight for me. I thought the baseball game WAS intense and was greatly entertained by Blakeley’s BEAST mode, with the tied up t-shirt. With some chewing tobacco and a baseball cap she could have passed for an Major League short stop. She was shockingly aggressive, played really well, but said some sub-par words of anger to her teammates after the game: blaming them, and actually shedding some tears over the loss.

The other highlight was Lindzi playing for both sides. This meant she was definitely going on the night portion of that date, which I was ALL for, cause we haven’t been able to see much of Lindzi since night one! Right? She is far and away my favorite, but she is slipping through the cracks with a lack of screen time. I was certain this episode would remedy that, and instead she was replaced AGAIN by Courtney’s face in a wine glass. Not cool.

The second portion of the group date, might as well have been just Courtney. She very cleverly plants a seed in Ben’s mind about a potential skinny dip sometime in Puerto Rico. Though Kacie B gets the rose, let’s be honest, Ben spends that entire night (and episode) thinking about Courtney naked. And here’s the thing: can we REALLY blame Ben here for being sidetracked mentally? He is clearly into Courtney, finds her attractive, and if a woman that a man feels that way about offers to get naked and splash around in the ocean with you THAT is pretty hard to NOT think about. I get it, but it sucks. Even more frustrating is Ben’s time with Lindzi, which consists of:

Lindzi: “Hey! How are you?”
Ben: “I’m good, how are you?”
Lindzi: “Good…it’s been awhile.”
Ben: “Yep.”

So disappointing. I want to see much and more of Lindzi in weeks to come.

The Blue Team, (typically the losing color in the Bachelor franchise. I was reminded of a certain curling date a few years ago that left my team wallowing in despair after our loss against the Red team and an even bigger LOSS of time spent with Jillian…) reacts as if a family member dies and Blakeley and Jennifer shed tears on camera. And I think these are “home-sick” tears, honestly. The show really does take a mental and physical toll on you. By week 3, without contact with family and friends, travel, the stress of the dates and rose ceremonies it is easy to overreact at the small things.

Our last date of the episode is with Elyse, and I think we were all on the same page to start. I wasn’t expecting her to get a rose. Although I got my hopes up while she was on the boat, and loved Elyse’s attitude and smile throughout. Ben might as well have been sitting in a room with 10 TV’s and playoff football on. He appeared incredibly distracted and between the boat ride and dinner, he just wanted to get out of there and into Courtney’s skinny dipping extravaganza. The physical proof of this was when Ben asked her, “Do you want to jump off the boat.” I can’t think of a more obvious (though indirect) way to say he did not want to be there.

Elyse does plead her case, and puts up pretty good fight. We learn she has given up a lot, and I was convinced that she did in fact want to find love on the show. It is unfortunately for her, too little too late. There is about as much love going on between her and Ben as is there is was between Jenna and Ben. The tears are warranted, and Ben wishes her well, and I think he means it.

And then the skinny dip:

Oh gosh. If there was anyone who was still holding out hope for Courtney to be a wonderful woman it’s all gone now. My guess is that was shattered after this part. I, for one, was immediately reminded of a certain serpent in the Garden of Eden, cunningly and seductively whispering to Adam/Ben to taste the forbidden fruit. And no, I am not comparing Courtney to Satan (but close). It’s just wrong for so many reasons. It really made my stomach turn, and though (as I mentioned earlier) I get it…I get that Ben has probably been on the road, traveling, falling asleep alone at night, maybe a little backed-up and here comes Courtney with a bottle of deep-red wine (his kryptonite) and a bath robe. Almost any man would be powerless against Courtney. But guess what? Ben is not any man, he is The Bachelor and I think you friggin’ keep it in your pants. Out of respect for the other girls, out of respect for Courtney (hard to muster), and out of respect for his family watching. Oh man this was like watching a car crash in slow motion. I kept saying, “don’t do it, don’t do it, DON’T DO IT.”

Argh, they get naked, get in the ocean, make out and who knows what else…and Courtney returns back to the house (maybe) and by the cocktail party she seems openly and outwardly proud of what happened. AND, if she has at any point been clever enough to wear her sheep’s clothing, covering her wolf-like behavior with the other girls, THAT goes out the window.

Making things worse is Emily’s time with Ben. She immediately apologizes for bringing up Courtney last week (YAY!) then the next second launches into why she doesn’t like her again (ARE YOU SERIOUS?). Was anyone else cringing at this point? Ben couldn’t make it more obvious that Courtney is sticking around for A LOT longer. Emily leaves the date with her tail between her legs.

At the Rose Ceremony Emily’s face suggests that she thinks she is going home. She looks sea sick, and upset and I think all of us are more than shocked when Jennifer gets the boot. Again, if we had any confidence left in Ben making the right choices it gets smashed in the face with this decision. Really? Jennifer…REALLY!?!? They just had an incredible one-on-one date. I really learned to like her after last week and without a better way to say it: I don’t understand how you can give a girl a rose on a one-on-one, have little to no time with her the next week, then send her home. I don’t get it and didn’t like it. I will miss Jennifer a lot.

Argh, I hate to have been so negative blogging this week! But son of a Puerto-Rico THAT did not go well.

My hope is that Panama City brings some better decisions and hours and hours of Lindzi on camera.

Holding my breath till then.

With Love,

(Like This)

Michael

1. Well written Michael and I agree with you wholeheartedly about the skinny dipping fiasco. I really expected more from Ben but he is really being easily manipulated and unfortunately, a lot of people have lost respect for him. The only redeeming thing he can do is break up with Courtney.

Comment by Christine Chaos — January 31, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

2. You are right on Michael. I have always loved you. Wish you were the bachelor.

Comment by Deb — January 31, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

3. I agree with everything you have written, and I too, have been wondering why we do not get to see any of Lindzi. She seems to be a favorite, but what do we base this on?

Unfortunately I have lost a lot of respect for Ben. He should have thought about how the skinny dipping, etc, would affect his other relationships, unless he has his mind made up, which it appears he has. Ughh.

So disappointed in this season. He has a handful of really great girls. What a waste.

Comment by Jacquie — January 31, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

4. Great blog, Stag. I know as non-Bachelor alum, having not been the dater or one of 15 ‘datees’, we have no idea what it is really like for these guys and girls… so I try to keep that in perspective. But it was hard not to be disappointed last night. Ben’s infatuation with Courtney seems almost boy-like – but I’m still holding out hope he is a good MAN who will see through it (without coaxing from the girls, I might add). I agree that them bringing it up to him is catty, immature and unattractive. He needs to discover for himself; and for his sake, I hope he can/does. I also know editing goes a long way in what we see versus what actually happens. It seems like there are some truly nice girls still there, that he hasn’t given much attention or time to. If he doesn’t do that, how can he be sure he doesn’t let the right girl walk away?

Comment by Jamie — January 31, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

5. I agree with you this episode left very little to be desired!! I think Ben let Jennifer go because he didn’t want her to keep falling when he knew he wasn’t feeling it as much as her. I don’t think him keeping Emily is anything more than just letting her be a placeholder for the time being.

Ok, so did he really do what I think he did with courtney? You know, I finally get how a guy feels when he conquers and then moves on. He was all into her, following her around, then she just sat on him and afterwards he felt crappy. I could see how this would make a guy feel and how it would change his opinion!! So ladies – hold out a little!

Comment by Heather — January 31, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

6. I agree with you. I am actually looking away from the tv now when Courtney comes on, I can’t stand to look at her.and now I am upset with Ben for thinking with his “you know what”. I loved the baseball game too and I was not impressed with Blakley bagging on the girls at the end. I felt sorry for Elyse and Jennifer, what a screwed up night. Looks like he gets an ear full next week and it might to too late for him to find true love once the girls find out about he and Courtney. Love your blog!!!!!!!!

Comment by Traci Myers — January 31, 2012 @ 1:41 pm

7. I wish you were the bachelor and not Ben.. He really disappointed me.. Anyway, I completly agree with u about everything! And I want to see more of Lindzi too! I hope that Ben won’t chose her at the end so that u can date her ;) u guys would make a really cute couple!

Comment by Hilla — January 31, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

8. Thank you for not only calling Courtney out, but Ben also. Both their behaviors are reprehensible. But I actually think Ben’s is worse. Courtney doesn’t need to answer to anyone else but herself. If her manipulative ways work for her, so be it. It’s Ben who is supposedly in this for Love. He is supposed to consider this entire process and the feelings of the women that have entrusted him with their emotions and hearts. Yet he totally plays into Courtney’s antics and dismisses truly genuine-seeming young ladies. I am now convinced they are better off having been booted and truly HOPES he ends up with Courtney. They truly deserve one another. They completely deserve all the bad publicity they get out of this.

Comment by aly — January 31, 2012 @ 1:48 pm

9. Even though I’m a woman closer to 50 than 40, with an amazing husband, I sit there and watch Ben with Courtney and think, “Is *THAT* what guys today want? A shallow, mean-girl model with a fake-baby-voice?” I’m happy for all the young women in the world that there are still great guys like you out there, Michael, who see that Ben’s behavior in Puerto Rico was really shoddy. I keep telling myself I’m not going to watch anymore, and yet…

Comment by Lisa B — January 31, 2012 @ 1:52 pm

10. Well considering the bad publicity Jason and Molly received and where they are now, then things look good for Ben and Courtney. This is about what Ben wants, not what people believe is right for him. People are so judgemental when they are sitting on their couches. If they break up later on, so what, it won’t be the first time it happens on the bachelor!

Comment by Melanie — January 31, 2012 @ 2:05 pm

11. Great blog, Michael. Ben is the worst bachelor ever cast on this show, EVER! He’s an embarrassment to watch and so boring, just a dbag personified and acts 18 yrs. old. Yes, he’s a huge disappointment, I was a fan last season, but saw him as a egotistical guy when he was so rude on at the FRC, just a jerk and he’s worse on his own season.

Hope you and Jilly get to go out again? That would make me smile.

Comment by It's Me — January 31, 2012 @ 2:06 pm

12. I agree with everything, except for the fact that I don’t care for Lindzi. I don’t know exactly why, but there is something that I don’t like about her. Other than that, another great blog, Michael!

Comment by Tracey — January 31, 2012 @ 2:07 pm

13. Michael that was very well written. I am an older lady and I am thinking what must his mother have thought. I know if my boy done this I might have disowned him. Embarrassing to say the least. Not only that but what does Courtney’s family think of her skinny dipping with a man she hardly knew but thinks she knows. I am like Lida B I keep saying I am not watching any more but can hardly wait until Monday to see what crazy things happen next week. I am crossing my fingers that he picks Kasey B but the way Ben thinks it is hard telling who he will pick in the end if anyone!!

Comment by Leona N — January 31, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

14. I could not agree more with your blog Michael. I am glad you seem to the first one to really give a true opinion on the skinny dipping scene and how wrong it was. I am all for a good time but on national TV is NOT the time and place, it was disrespectful in SO many ways–each of which you explained and Ben really let me down :(

I look forward to your blog every week, thanks for sharing :)

Comment by Andrea — January 31, 2012 @ 2:17 pm

15. Michael, I love your witty and insightful comments on how all this Bachelor drama is unfolding! I’ve always liked your unique point of view, and your integrity has impressed me as I’ve watched you on TV throughout the last few years. Keep up the good work, and keep these great blogs coming!

Comment by Shannon — January 31, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

16. Great blog! I absolutely loved the baseball game. The girls poured every ounce of their being into it! I felt bad for the girls who didn’t win. Also, I was sad to see Jennifer get sent home. She seems so genuine and has a wonderful smile! As for Courtney, I am speechless. I am really disappointed that this happened on the Bachelor. It sent out a really poor message especially to our young people. :( Keep up the great insight!

Comment by Kara — January 31, 2012 @ 2:35 pm

17. I have to say that Courtney and Ben’s behavior was disgusting last night. I can not stand Courtney. She gets on and has the odacity to smile at others disappointments which to me makes her an evil person. I really was excited about this season because I really like Ben but after last night’s show I have really lost respect for him. this may turn out to be another Jake and Vienna. Jake picked the girl that everyone hated and look where that got him and now it looks as if we could be going down that same road with shallow, insensitive, manipulative Courtney. All I can say is good luck with that one and doesn’t the nice guy/girl ever finish last anymore???

Comment by Melissa — January 31, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

18. Another great blog, Michael! I completely agree with you.

I also wish for more Lindzi but I also love Kacie B. I think Lindzi will ultimately end up in the end though.

I’m on #TEAMANYONEBUTCOURTNEY at this point, though!

Comment by Anna — January 31, 2012 @ 2:57 pm

19. Oh, how I’ve been looking forward to this. And I gotta say (for the 5th week in a row) I couldn’t agree more. It was an episode of ups and downs as far as I’m concerned, was happy Nicki got the 1st date, but I didn’t see many sparkles there, then was happy Kacie B.’s team won the game, but of course Courtney was there too. Was glad to see that she didn’t trick Ben into giving him another rose, but oh, of course she did a lot more, she promised him she’d get naked in the ocean with him, so he basically couldn’t get that out of his head until he got it out of his system. Let’s be serious, are we surprised she pulled the skinny-dipping thing off? Not really. Can we blame her for trying or Ben for accepting? Again, not really. It just sucks that he likes her so much and what really annoys me about her is the way she does/says things, so much more than what she actually says/does. I really do think that if he ends up choosing her, then good for him, he probably isn’t the kind of guy we thought (or atleast I thought) he was from Ashley’s season and up until now. Because a she can deceive him up until a certain point, but I’m sure he must have an idea of what she’s like, and in my modest opinion, it’s not like she’s presenting herself like a wonderful person, even when she’s alone with him. She knows he’s extremely attracted to her (hence the continuous “WINNING” comments and the phisical approach to him) and she’s using that to her advantage to.. suprise, WIN! I don’t think she’ll leave soon, or at all, despite what the promo tried to trick us into thinking. :(
    Enough about Courtney though, I was sorry to see Emily fall into the same mistake as last week, I was shouting “NO,NO,NO – SHUT UP!” to my TV as she was talking.. but still, I don’t think Ben’s reaction to that was nice. He could have expressed the same thought in a much nicer way.. Let’s hope it all gets better in Panama! :) Until then, thanks for this week’s review :)

Comment by ChiaraSacks — January 31, 2012 @ 3:02 pm

20. Right on point with everything, Michael. Courtney is by far the worst thing that could happen to Ben; she has a hold on him and it’s not a good one.

Thanks for the blog and keep em coming!

#lovelikethis #ahugfrommichael

Comment by Hilary — January 31, 2012 @ 3:06 pm

21. Great blog, Michael. After reading Ali’s blog, I was afraid that other Bachelor alumni were going to give Ben a pass on his behavior last night, so I’m really glad to see the way you’ve respectfully held him acountable.

I had hoped before the season that you might be The Bachelor, and now I wish even more that you were. You have a great head on your shoulders.

Comment by Kelly — January 31, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

22. Love it! Couldn’t agree more. I think you’re great! Keep up the good work!

Comment by Brin — January 31, 2012 @ 3:21 pm

23. I know that Emily should have kept her mouth shut and was reminded to “tread lightly” (double yikes) but when will the Bachelor/Bachelorette realize men and women can be snakes. There have been a few good people on the show to try and give them a heads up ie Wes, Bentley, and now Courtney. Ugh!!
    The skinny-dipping made me sick and if I was one of the girls and found out about it would have been a Mickey exit…Peace Out!! Not cool Ben! So disrespectful!

Comment by Kellfu — January 31, 2012 @ 3:26 pm

24. I totally agree. Sending Jennifer home was the biggest shocker of the night — they seemed to have such a great time on their one-on-one date, and she was one of my favourites from the beginning…

The Courtney situation was just disappointing – like you, Michael, I get it, Ben’s a guy, he needed an outlet, and how could he resist, but you’re right – he’s the freaking Bachelor and should have kept it in his pants and retained some of his integrity. It just wasn’t fair at all to the other girls and I found it difficult to watch…!

All I know is this is going to make for a somewhat explosive “After the Final Rose” episode….!

And a note to Michael – love the blog annnnnd thank you for reminding girls like me (ie single!) that there are indeed nice guys with a working moral compass out there :) Keep up the good work and see you at the show in Toronto! #lovelikethis

Comment by alicia — January 31, 2012 @ 3:29 pm

25. Well said and this was probably one of the kindest recap written about this episode. Most people are not reacting well (as they should/we should) to Ben’s behavior. I like that you put the responsibility on both their shoulders – it takes two to tango.

Any hope of Courtney’s goodness and any good will I had toward Ben died w/ this episode as well. This is the kind of behavior that is a deal breaker for me and that kind of disrespect can never be erased from my mind and that kind of man will never trusted again. I think the women who he let go for the serpent are the real winners. I hope they now realize this and thank their lucky stars, and realize it’s not them, it’s that Ben is not the man they thought he was and they deserve so much better than what he can offer.

Comment by Leslie — January 31, 2012 @ 3:47 pm

26. WTF is the matter with you??? First you are totally vulgar, saying Ben is “backed-up” – thanks for that lovely image, and for putting all men in the crass category.

Then you are horribly judgmental about skinny-dipping. And so prurient you have to comment on him not “keeping it in his pants.” Thank you for proving what an uptight controlling man/lover you must be. I also think a lot of commenters here live in between the coasts, am I right? Naked=sex=bad. Fleiss wins, you lose your mind.

Comment by Allissa — January 31, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

27. Great blog Michael!

Im totally with ya! I see you kinda like Lindzi, but I really dont find a deep connetion there. Then again, where did Jamie come from?? What is it with Casey S that he keeps her there?? to keep tattletailing?? My gosh!! THat dumb blank head needs to go! but NOW!!!

Comment by enidan22 — January 31, 2012 @ 4:27 pm

28. I think people are making mountains out of mole hills over Courtney and the skinny dipping. I also don’t think that Ben is being manipulated. Ever stop to think that she is the kind of girl he likes? Yes, she is playing the heck out of the other women in the house and if a woman who is supposedly as smart as Emily is has allowed her to get inside her head the way she has, that’s on Emily.

Ben is a grown man and doesn’t need protecting. Don’t forget his alter ego was rather crass so he probably finds Courtney quite appealing. The skinny dipping might not have been the best of choices but it wasn’t a crime. Not everyone, and obviously not Ben, sees nudity as a bad thing. They were having fun and are obviously comfortable with one another. ABC didn’t show us any vital “parts.” LOL! I think people need to lighten up, see the humor of Courtney and how frazzled she has most of the women and, apparently, most of the fans. Lots of insecurity out there if she gets under people’s skin the way she does.

Comment by Lizzie — January 31, 2012 @ 4:30 pm

29. First time I’ve found and read your blog, Michael. Your viewpoint is spot on! You have a fabulous way of expressing yourself.

I, too, noticed how Courtney always seems to have a drink in her hand. I’ve heard Ben say on TV that he doesn’t want a lush and someone that can handle herself well so it doesn’t reflect poorly on his wine business. If he ends up with Courtney, he may have a budding alcoholic on his hands.

I would like to see his reaction when he sees the episodes of what Courtney says to the girls and to the camera. I think he will be shocked and embarrassed he was so manipulated. I think Courtney doesn’t know what real love is and that she is just on The Bachelor for some sick way to promote herself and be selected. Who knows, maybe she wants a piece of the wine business. I can’t see them getting married. It would be a disaster.

The other girls currently on the show seem to be nice and looking for love. And I definitely would like to see more of Lindzi. She and Kacie are my favorites.

I’ve liked you on previous TV shows. You would make a great “Bachelor.” I will look forward to your next blog.

Comment by Susan — January 31, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

30. Michael, so sorry you are not the bachelor. It would have been a breath of fresh air. You are a gentleman, yet fun and young at heart. Ben is the opposite, a frat boy, not a gentleman, but a dbag who just puts me to sleep. Ben has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Hey, ABC, get it right, we women want nice guys who are hot and sexy, but gentlemen as the bachelor, not a horn dog with the ugliest hair I’ve ever seen on a guy under 30. Gives me a gag reflext to look at Ben.

Good luck with everything Michael, loved you on BP2, some lucky girl will snag you soon.

Comment by LoveMichael — January 31, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

31. 1. Do you see what you wrote? Pot calling kettle…? Anger issues? Who do you see yourself as? Courtney or Ben to take it so personally?

2. I live in CA and I agree w/ him 1005 (I think he’s in CA as well from the sound of some of his tweets). Morals and integrity has no outer location – it resides inside of you (or maybe in your case – not).

3. Michael writes in the most gentle manner even when he’s not pleased w/ someone so I don’t think your accusation fits

Comment by Response to Allissa — January 31, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

32. Should have also put in comment section besides the name section that the comments above were for Allissa.

Comment by Response to Allissa — January 31, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

33. I wonder how Ben would feel if Ashley had done to him what he did to the other women? I don’t know which is worse, that he did it to begin with or that he didn’t tell them what he did to give them the option to get out and a fair warning of what they were getting themselves into as they opened their hearts more to him and became even more vulnerable. This was a huge betrayal to them that he basically didn’t give them a chance on one hand, but selfishly still expected them to open themselves up to him and in the end be crushed.

Comment by Ben for the DB prize — January 31, 2012 @ 5:12 pm

34. Great blog. The only part I’m not shocked about is Ben letting Jennifer go that night. The reason for this is because when she first sits down with him she thanks him for taking her on the last date. She mildly offers any conversation and he looked a bit stunned. She didn’t really seem to be connecting to him more than the date she went on and smooching with him. After all the more intimate talks he had up to that point, I can see where his feelings dried up. I could be wrong though. Maybe just for that moment on television, but there could be more in the future. Ya never really know.

Comment by elizabeth — January 31, 2012 @ 5:18 pm

35. Ben has turned out to be an asshole fraternity pledge-type douchebag. Courtney’s a skanky slut. Her mouth looks like a sphincter and what comes out proves it. Every one of those women, if they could have seen that, should have quit the show en masse and let Fleiss wet his pants. “Blew her panties off”?? Right verb, wrong person’s underwear. I’m sure many male boxers have been “blown off”. I’m sure I can figure out how she’s a model now. And I bet her panties find a way to get removed quite often. She’s not pretty or funny. She needs a punch in the nose and then she can walk around saying “bleeding” or “hurting”. Without the modeling, she’s a waste of air. And to Allissa: I’m 61, have a degree in Psych and have lived on both coasts and visited many nude beaches. But that wasn’t the time or place for what they did. You couldn’t pay me to touch that slut.

Comment by Thomas — January 31, 2012 @ 5:19 pm

36. Thomas, you have a degree in Psych and you are speaking this way? I have a degree in Psych as well and see nothing wrong with their behavior. It’s their life, let them live it the way they want. Sure, it was a little unfair to the other girls, but if it’s not one it’s going to be the other. Ben has a right to do whatever he wants during his time as “The Bachelor”, and all the women also have a right to do as they want. This is a television show and they’re being taken to exotic places and experiencing life in a different way.

Comment by elizabeth — January 31, 2012 @ 6:13 pm

37. I couldn’t have said it better myself:

“Though Kacie B gets the rose, let’s be honest, Ben spends that entire night (and episode) thinking about Courtney naked. And here’s the thing: can we REALLY blame Ben here for being sidetracked mentally?”

SOOOO true! He IS a man…those poor women. Courtney knows what she is doing that’s for sure. I am trying so hard to like her but every episode she makes it more difficult. I really thought Ben would be smarter than this.

On a side note – I REALLY WISH ABC would have made you the Bachelor. This season just confirms it should have been you last season. Your way with words is incredible, you are handsome, a great musician, kind hearted and you seem to truely respect women! Maybe next year?!

Great blog! :)

Comment by Jennifer — January 31, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

38. You can’t understand why Ben gets rid of Jennifer but I have a theory. I think he chooses Courtney at the end and he falls for her in P. R. Since he’s gone on and on in previous episodes about what a great kisser Jennifer is ( he even told his sister), he gets rid of her to not have any other sexual feelings for any other girl. I’ll bet he’s going to keep all the wholesome girls until the end so he can later tell Courtney he didn’t have feelings for them. Just saying.

Comment by Elaine — January 31, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

39. He IS NOT SORRY for Elsye’s tears. What a trashy thing to do. He acted like he was enjoying the date, and he even picked up the rose. That smile on her face immediately turned into a frown when he said what he did. YOU DON’T LEAD A WOMAN ON LIKE THAT.

The way he talked to Emily after she was confided in him about Courtney is a big NO NO. Even though I would not let someone like Courtney get to me, maybe she irks Emily, and for him to be very patronizing about it is not gentleman behavior. This guy is the bottom of the barrel. He treats these women very disrespectfully.

NOTE TO BEN: JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE THESE FEW WOMEN AFTER YOU, YOU ARE NOT MISTER HOT SHOT. YOU DO NOT EVEN COME CLOSE TO THE MILLIONS OF OTHER GENTLEMAN OUT THERE. YOU ARE PLAIN TRASH. IT IS NEVER OKAY TO TALK TO/TREAT WOMAN THE WAY YOU HAVE BEEN DOING. AND YOU HAVE ZERO PERSONALITY!!!!!!!!!

Comment by S — January 31, 2012 @ 6:38 pm

40. AND HIS BOO HOO SOB STORY ABOUT HIS FATHER IS GETTING OLD. HE NEEDS TO DEAL WITH THOSE EMOTIONS FIRST BEFORE HE TRYS TO GET IN RELATIONSHIPS WITH WOMEN, AND TREATS THEM LIKE HE HAS. THERE IS NO EXCUSE TO TREAT ANOTHER INDIVIDUAL POORLY BECAUSE OF YOU LIFE CIRCUMSTANCES. THERE ARE WORST THINGS THAT HAPPEN TO PEOPLE. GET OVER IT.

Comment by S — January 31, 2012 @ 6:42 pm

41. “…I get that Ben has probably been on the road, traveling, falling asleep alone at night,–>maybe a little backed-up<–" lmao! Hilarious and I almost pee'd in my pants! I love the way you blog! I agree with everything you say! Once again, I cant wait to read your post next week!

Comment by JMonterroso — January 31, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

42. I think the fact that on The Ellen Show Ben eluded to the fact that he wished a mole would have told him about what was going on in the house, Ben has since seen the light only to wish it had happened sooner. Hence, they are no longer together.

Comment by Divr — January 31, 2012 @ 6:57 pm

43. And regards the attitude some have about the skinny dipping being ok. It may be ok in everyday life, BUT they were on NATIONAL TV.

Comment by Divr — January 31, 2012 @ 7:00 pm

44. ” I, for one, was immediately reminded of a certain serpent in the Garden of Eden, cunningly and seductively whispering to Adam/Ben to taste the forbidden fruit.”

so well stated.

Comment by Angie — January 31, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

45. Thank you so much for calling put Ben’s decision to ignore boundaries we expected from him! I guess he could have said, “yeah let’s do it but keep our underwear on?” would we feel any better? Heck no!! So Michael, if his chosen one was not Courtney, can they get passed this??? Do you think they actually DID it in the ocean???
    Luv u xxoo

Comment by Cathy — January 31, 2012 @ 8:01 pm

46. It is so refreshing to read a male’s perspective that I agree with! Ben has made me lose a lot of hope in finding a decent guy, so I am glad to see that not all guys would go skinny dipping with the manipulative model this early in the game. If I had any say in choosing the next bachelor my vote would go to Michael Stagliano!

Comment by M — January 31, 2012 @ 8:11 pm

47. You really made some good points regarding Courtney-Ben-Jennifer-Ben and the antics that went on in Puerto Rico. I especially agree with the ethic that as The Batchelor…Ben should have kept his booty dry…

Comment by Kate — January 31, 2012 @ 8:29 pm

48. Enjoyed your blog sooo much…good to know there are young men with morals. You expressed your disapproval gently which I respect. If things dont work out between you and Jillian I nominate you for next bachelor.

Comment by Judy — January 31, 2012 @ 9:33 pm

49. Courtney is a sociopath. Narcissistic, doesn’t care a whit about the feelings of others, interested in only her own gain, and will do whatever she needs to to get it. 10% of the population are actually technically sociopaths. And they are dangerous. Highly manipulative, very conscious about what they are doing, with zero remorse. That’s Courtney.

And Ben said to Kacie B that in all the times he has been in love, he was not loved in return. So he has a pattern (unconscious) of feeling undeserving of love, which then manifests as these relationships where he isn’t loved. Courtney doesn’t love him. She has no feelings for him (she has no feelings, period). Ben is just unconsciously recreating his own inner patterns so he can see them in full colour. Hopefully he wakes up this time and heals this wound.

Comment by Kate — February 1, 2012 @ 12:55 am

50. This season has been hard to watch. When I see Ben with the women he seems vacant, almost cold. Courtney is clearly the woman he has chosen. After he told Emily “tread lightly, drop it, be careful” that is a man protecting his woman.

ABC listen up the next bachelor needs to be MICHAEL STAGLIANO…

Comment by Michelle — February 1, 2012 @ 2:08 am

51. I agree with everyone, Michael Stag for Bachelor 17! You are full of class, and you deserve a wonderful woman whether it be from the show or in your own untelevised way. #LOVE

Comment by Gee — February 1, 2012 @ 2:48 am

52. Michael, you are a class act and a thoughtful, kind man. I couldn’t care less how this turns out for Bachelor Ben, I’m only watching cause he’s bored, indifferent, self-centered, and shallow and his number one girlfriend is a mean girl train wreck. Which makes it all the more fun to make fun of except for the seemingly sweet girls like Kacie B., Nikki and Jennifer who somehow believed this process actually works. You’re better off in the real world, just keep us posted because we’re all rooting for your happy ending.

Comment by Cathleen — February 1, 2012 @ 4:49 am

53. You guys seem to take these blogs so seriously! Everything that Michael writes is his opinion of the episode, some of you should really not take to heart what he says. By the way Michael, I enjoyed this weeks blog just as much as last week’s one. #lovelikethis

Comment by Marina Cruickshank — February 1, 2012 @ 5:56 am

54. Micheal, you should get together with Jennifer, I think you 2 could hit it off! Enjoyed your blog and completely agree with you! à bientôt!

Comment by Lise Bilodeau — February 1, 2012 @ 6:43 am

55. Michael Michael Michael….when will ABC put you on the Bachelor again as the Bachelor. You are a mother’s dream for her daughter. I have a single daughter by the way.
    You are right on about Ben. Courtney is a vixon and an evil one at that. Ben is male, but no excuse for hurting people. He is responsible for all those he is dating and how it will hurt them. I doubt he would have liked to her that the girl he was dating last show went skinny dipping with someone else while he thought he was falling in love. Nice guy. Too bad he didn’t honor his mother and sister. What an embarassment to them. At this point, I have read the spoilers and know Courtney receives the proposal. It won’t last, but Ben isn’t thinking with his noodle, he’s thinking way below that.

Good luck to you Michael. I do hope you will be the next Bachelor.

Comment by C Thomas — February 1, 2012 @ 7:30 am

56. I think they should have hired you as a dating coach for Ben this season, as you have offered up some wonderful advice. Keep up the good work.

Comment by Jamie — February 1, 2012 @ 7:40 am

57. To: Comment by Kate — February 1, 2012 @ 12:55 am

I agree wholeheartedly and have saying the exact same things on both counts. I also want to add that it’s clear Ben doesn’t make decisions based on real love, but on lust and physical attraction and that is why he keeps getting burned, plus he doesn’t listen to the other person very well or those around him and makes up his mind about people too soon then sticks to it even when they reveal themselves negatively over time. The way he didn’t consider any of the women’s feelings w/ what he did w/ Courtney speaks volumes of the growing up and maturing he still needs to do.

If you love this blog, you’ll also love the one Ashley Spivey wrote. HILARIOUS and dead on. It’s on her own website first (and right now) then they post it here later.

Comment by Agree with Kate — February 1, 2012 @ 10:17 am

58. Right on track Michael, in Bens blog he said he did not think about the other women and that is so wrong, okay if you did not think of them why not think of your family, I would be extremely mad at my Son if he did this on TV, show some class and respect for other people. Ben and Courtney deserve each other and I hope the women watching this unfold are glad they did not end up with Ben.

Comment by Roberta — February 1, 2012 @ 10:26 am

59. Dear Michael:

What will it take for ABC to see WE WANT YOU as the next Bachelor. Someone with a personality, sense of humor, compassionate about finding love, and not to mention good looking.

I disliked Ben on Ashley’s season, but was willing to give him a chance as the Bachelor. He never striked me as attractive or all that interesting. It is now episode 5 and I’m ready for “After the Final Rose.” He is boring, lacks charm, and really needs a good haircut.

Speking of boring…I find it funny how Courtney constantly says the other women are boring…BEN IS BORING! Anyone else notice this?

Also, does anyone else feel that Ben already knows who he is going to pick and is just stringing the other girls along for the ride? He doesn’t seem to be upset at all after sending girls home and he does it ungracefully.

So disppointed in this season and will carefully monitor whether 2 hrs each week is worth my time on the next season of “Bachelor.” The Bacehlorette will be a breath of fresh air (cross my fingers) in the fact that Emily seems to actually have a heart.

Comment by Lauren — February 1, 2012 @ 11:11 am

60. Great blog again Michael!

The funny thing for me is the only endearing thing about Courtney is the fact that she is always drinking wine… I think it’s pretty awesome. Aside from that, I agree with everything else you said about her!

I was also so upset about Jennifer going home. She was definitely the most beautiful girl inside and out and I was so sad to see her go!

I’m also sad that your show is sold out in Calgary this weekend :( Breaks my heart!! I hope it goes so well!!

Comment by Courtney — February 1, 2012 @ 12:53 pm

61. First of all, Micheal, I want to say you did an amazing job with this blog. I totally agree with you 100% on everything. I try to give everyone a chance to redeem themselves and Courtney is someone who continues to dig herself a grave with me. I think I lost respect for Ben big time after this episode. I think he’s still a boy, living up his dream of skinny dipping with a “model”. I don’t think Courtney would ever consider Ben if he wasn’t the Bachelor.
    I also think its the biggest insult to Michelle Money when all these people try to compare Courtney’s approach to being the “Michelle Money” of the season. Ahem..no way times infinite. I never got a bad vibe from Michelle on Brad’s season. I thought she was funny. Michelle might of been a little crazy/ witty on camera, but come on, that was so entertaining. She was still able to be friends with most of the girls in the house, especially the nice ones, like Ashley H. As Courtney, she isnt looking to making any friends, she makes the worst comments on camera AND directly to other ppl’s faces. Even worse, she pulls a “skinny dipping” move. That stuck an all time low for me. I know Michelle would never pull a stunt like this.
    I think whats worse abt this entire episode is that Ben thought with his other head and he basically chose who he wants at the end of this. He did not consider the other girl’s feelings, how this would sit well with his family and friends. I thought the Bachelor was supposed to be someone who was a gentleman all the way. This isnt gentleman behavior. Like way to make yourself a fool on national television. I now really hopes he doesnt pick any other girl. I think him and Courtney deserve each other.
    I also hope you end up with someone genuine…im rooting for Lindzi to be reading this blog and marrying you someday (since you are literally in love with her). I also think if Lindzi doesnt work out, I believe you and Kacie B would mesh well :)

Comment by Susan :) — February 1, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

62. Way to go Michael! this blog rocks cuz it`s so full of truths! after watching in sheer horror of the nude scene in front of me, all i could think of was those poor ladies. how selfish and shallow of Ben and how whorish is Courney! If I was one of those gals, I`d be packing my bags and not wasting anymore time on this piece of shit they call a man.

Ben is NOT a man but is more like a little boy in fantasyland. He doesnt want or know how to grow up – that`s for sure.
    and he is not nice at all to the ladies when he ditches them. I`ve never seen a bachelor act this rude to the departing ;ladies. Throughout episode 5, you could see that Ben was mentally sidetracked. None of those women on any of the dates were treated right and fair as his mind is not on any of them. He`s a PIG!!! Oink Oink BEN!

and poor Jennifer! I was not expecting that at all! This sudden coldness makes me wonder if Courtney had any influence privately in who should go home next. We don`t know what could have been the conversation but we do know that he listened to Courtney at another rose ceremony.

I was really rooting for Kacie B and i do like Lindzi but seeing this latest sexapalooza – I really hope they find out and RUN to the nearest exit. I would never trust him again to be sincere. I really feel like he is just going through the motions to make it look good but the opposite effect is happening. I will be watching his interaction even more so now to see who the next target it. Ben – may you reap what you sow

Comment by Carmen — February 1, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

63. PS – I can`t wait for the `After the Final Rose` show. Bring it on!!!!!

Comment by Carmen — February 1, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

64. Mmmmm, I actually do not agree that he is going something wrong going skinny dipping with Courtney, or that if he ended up with someone else that someone else would dump him when she saw this. This is the Bachelor, they know that he is dating a ton of women simultaneously and they are kissing constantly and one right after the other,… if that doesn’t bother them, why would they be so bothered about this? It this SO different from being almost naked in a hot tub petting and kissing? I think not.

Having said that, I think that Courtney is acting like a heartless sociopath. Whether she is a sociopath or not we cannot know without knowing her better, but either she is or she has chosen to portray herself as a person completely lacking compassion. Many people argue that editing can make you look bad, but I don’t think they are forcing her to say things like “I didn’t know that strippers did this” and other things she has said not only in private but also in front of the other girls. She must have feelings and be vulnerable somehow (or else we would have a diagnosis), but she (or the program) has chosen to hide them so well that she comes across really unlikeable. And the baby voice is just driving me nuts, heheh. Oh, by the way, the baseball outfit did NOT agree with her, Kacie B, Blakely, and Casie S have much better legs!!!! (I am not saying that the woman is not drop-dead gorgeous on the outside, but I had noticed she has slightly funny legs).

But I also agree with those who say that it’s Ben’s choice, and who cares if the decision is immature or whatever… the program is a hookup place for mostly very good-looking people, and going there to find love probably correlates highly with low levels of maturity per se (no offense).

Comment by Nukz — February 1, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

65. I think we all know who Ben has chosen. He made that decision early on in the show. I think from the moment he saw Courtney he was had. Someone said, she could come after him with a knife and he still would keep her. She is not going anywhere. She is the chosen one. Had it been one of the other girls acting as she does, he would have gotten rid of them long ago.

Comment by Vickie — February 1, 2012 @ 8:56 pm

66. Well Said Michael…You are too cute!! I, along with many, am Loosing interest in this Show week by week…I can’t believe ABC…they should be choosing some new and exciting people, they need to STOP re-cycling the Bachelors/Bachelorettes for crying out loud…Courtney is a psycho and if he chooses her, then they Deserve each other!!

Comment by Susan — February 1, 2012 @ 9:56 pm

67. Great blog. Smart, good spelling and grammar, and funny. Please continue! :)

Comment by sami — February 2, 2012 @ 7:30 am

68. Michael for the next Bachelor!!!!

Comment by k — February 2, 2012 @ 8:14 am

69. According to previews of what is to come. It shows that other girls give Ben the heads up about Courtney .During the rose ceremony before handing out what looks to be the last rose he asks to speak to Courney to confront her. Also, if you listen to the voices of the final rose preview, you do not hear Courtney’s voice. I think I head Kacie B and Lindzi ‘s voices.
    I think when he was on the Ellen show and said he wished that there would have been a mole in the house, it was because he would have sent Courtney home and been spared all the embarrassment he is getting now for not listening when he was told by Emily and the way he spoke to her when she had his back. I think Emily wants Ben to be happy even if he does not pick her in the end .She shows that no matter what, she will always have his back. This is a good quality in a relationship and shows that she is a loyal person.The only thing that I think she could have done is , word it differently and let it drop after the first warning.
    I think because of the ugly words and comments Courtney spews out of her ugly mouth ( you see those weird faces she makes? Very unatractive. ) and because of the skinny dipping , the editor of The Bachelor thought a rumor was needed to keep us watching and draw our attention to the villian. They wanted everyone to talk about The Bachellor this season and wonder if Ben will get dupped again.
    Does anyone but me think it is almost like Ben is trying to force himself to have connections with these women ? When Ben can’t find things to talk about he leans in for a kiss. When you connect with someone the silence is comfortable and there is no need to fill it. When we are telling our life stories we laugh and cry together. We get serious when we talk about our future and include the person we love in the plans we start making.
    Conversation just flows if what you are wanting out of your partner is the same as what he or she is wanting, there has been less talking this season then I have seen on any other episode. Has anyone noticed that Chris H does not take Ben to a room and sit down and talk to him like he did all the other Bachelors .He usually finds out where they are at this point in the process and who he is starting to develop feelings for. There has been more kissing then
    anything.
    I do think that Ben is so overwhelmed that so many women want to be with him, he is trying to take advantage of as much attention as he can get for fear that in the end rejection might come again , it migh be right away or ( after the skinny dipping trance he was in from Courtney) after the show is seen by (I hope I am right) Kasie B , Lyndzi or any other women who seen him being taken for a dumb ass by Courtney.

Comment by Syndie — February 2, 2012 @ 8:49 am

70. Stag….Jilly is crazy to have let you get away!!!

Love your blogs as usual. It was totally disrespectful of Ben to go skinny dipping. And Courteney maybe she is a good person I don’t know but her behaviors sure do say otherwise. I’m trying really hard to like Ben and Courteney but I don’t think I should have to try this hard. This season is already over and such a waste. Hope the awesome girls find a good guy.

Comment by Kristin — February 2, 2012 @ 8:52 am

71. Love reading your blog. Awesome to read a gentleman’s point of view. After seeing Ben’s superior attitude, his rudeness toward women, and his total disrespect to the other women … I think Courtney was made for him.
    Soooooo wish you were the Bachelor, Michael!!!

Comment by Jana — February 2, 2012 @ 11:20 am

72. As a professional editor, I want to congratulate you on a blog well-written. Always been a fan. Thanks for entertaining us!! Love from Toronto, Canada.

Comment by Sungirll30 — February 2, 2012 @ 3:23 pm

73. I’m glad that you at least make an effort at good writing. I can’t tell you how many other people on this site who sound like they are illiterate (and hence I refuse to read their #$@$ writing ever again) because it literally hurt my brain to read their stuff. I get that we all make mistakes, but when someone repeatedly makes the same mistakes over and over again, it’s crazy making and dangerous to your own intelligence to keep reading.

I love that I can read your blog, laugh, and enjoy instead of having to decipher through tons of mistakes and misuse of words. You seem to be a quality person who tries to do everything w/ quality and pride. Thank you for that.

Comment by Leslie — February 4, 2012 @ 4:02 pm