Michael Stagliano’s Bachelor Blog: Episode 8

Hey gang,

Well DAY-UMN… Welcome to the week 8 recap of The Bachelor.  I am not gonna lie, this one felt a lot like ice-skating uphill.  It seriously got worse and worse, harder and harder (and yes, therefore better and better to watch) as the episode went on.

WHAOW!

(Insert English accent) – Let’s rowll it!

We head to Houston, TX for the first hometown date with AshLee.

It is BY FAR the most “boring” hometown date of the four.  There is LOTS of talk about love, and love, and also, LOVE.  Literally, all sunshine and puppies… AshLee…CANNOT…STOP… talking about how in love she is.

And honestly, it’s sweet. But when you get bashed in the head over and over with lines like: “I have been dreaming of taking a man home since I was 4 or 5,” “I have fallen IN to love with him,” “Sean told me that he loves me and I can trust him and that he will be there (UHHHHhhhhh… I don’t think he said that)” ”I love you,” ”I want to marry someone like my Dad.  Sean is like my Dad.” Sure, I know I am a guy, and that it’s ‘The Bachelor,’ but HOLY HELL! I was drowning in it.

AshLee’s parents seemed INCREDIBLY AWESOME.  And Mother Theresa and all the saints in heaven! – Her dad’s story about adopting her, and how he wants a man to fall in love with her like that, I was about in tears. That was beautiful.  Her parents love Sean and would welcome him into the family… I want to comment more on this part of the episode but it would be redundant.  LOTS AND LOTS OF LOVE. Though Sean seems to keep it all at arms length.  My honest opinion: AshLee is just A LOT for him.

Catherine: We head to Seattle – a city that I LOVE and have frequented all too often. : )

The vibe of the show COMPLETELY changes, as Sean and Catherine have a completely opposite relationship when compared to AshLee. Sean smiles A LOT MORE. Things seem natural and fun; very light-hearted and you can tell that they both genuinely ENJOY each other.  One of my favorite lines was when Sean said, “Catherine is a girl that I just liked hanging out with, then we found a romance, and now it is something really special.”  That is HUGE.  I feel like, especially with AshLee, they rarely laugh and have fun together… it’s just serious SERIOUS conversation about love and trust.

Catherine and Sean head to the fish market, catch some fish, then head home to meet the family: Mom, Grandma and Catherine’s two sisters.  And it does NOT go so well.

We learn that:

A) Catherine’s grandma thinks Sean is Hot.

B) The sisters DO NOT think Catherine is taking this seriously OR that she is ready to get married.

C) Catherine’s mom has such a good smile, and seems really warm and welcoming.

D) Catherine didn’t not go on the show to get engaged… she went on it to have fun and SEE if there was something there with The Bachelor.  I LOVED THIS.  I ALWAYS DISLIKE when people interview and say that they went on the show to get married. WHAT THE HELL does that mean? I loved that Catherine FOUND love, didn’t come on the show ALREADY in love.

E) Catherine is a slob (a deal breaker for me…so…eesshh)

Honestly, not a bad hometown… though it does leave Sean with some questions…

Lindsay: is up next.

We quickly learn that Lindsay is ready to say “I love you,” pending that everything goes well with the date. They give each other HUGE hugs. Fun. They get cupcakes, she “drills” to get “Army Ready”…Lindsay reminds me of a little girl, not in a good way… and while, they do seem flirty and giddy… I can’t say I see the deep connection there that implies “wife,” ya know?

And for ME, I started to take note of something… Sean says the EXACT same thing about ALL FOUR GIRLS. He is, “crazy about her, and thinks she is very special”.  After hearing it for the 3rd time I was like, come on Sean, come on buddy, let’s starting saying how we really feel…

BUT THEN! Sean had a conversation with Lindsay’s mom that changed my mind about that.

She flat out asks him, “do you love my daughter?” and he says, “I can’t say that yet,” and she ADMIRES that Sean feels like love is a sacred thing. And guess what, I admire that too. haha. Lindsay’s mom for the win.

I was sweating bullets for Sean when he was gearing up to talk to Lindsay’s Dad.  (BULLETS. did you catch the pun there… Army… bullets… Oh, it wasn’t that good I guess.)

At first it seems like it is NOT GONNA GO WELL. But after just a few minutes, Lindsay’s Dad seems like a softy.  I liked him A LOT.  Sean kind of asks permission, and Lindsay’s Dad eeks out an answer.  He ends up gifting Sean some ID (Dog) Tags which I thought was really special; such a cool gift. I also noticed that when they said goodbye, Sean hugged the little brother Marcus. I think this was my favorite hometown out of the 4.  I bet Sean would say that too. : )

OK!  Last but FAR from least.

Holy crap.

Desiree:  Right in my backyard. The sunshine state. California Love.

Oh man, it seems like it is going to be a really good day.  They meet and go on a hike. Desiree says something super cute, “she doesn’t want to have to miss him anymore.” They walk and talk then end up at Desiree’s place, which was really nice!  AND she did all the art on the walls.  Super dope. Things seem PERFECT, until there is a knock at the door.

Hahahahaha.  And ohhh Christ.  I took this hook-line-and-sinker.  In fact, I watched it twice because I was so upset, confused, at Desiree and at this (fake) boyfriend. Hahahaha.  OH MAN.  I seriously thought it was going to GO DOWN. Coming back from commercial we learn it is all a joke, Desiree was getting Sean back for the prank he pulled on her earlier this season, and I LOVE IT.  It was friggin hilarious.

Unfortunately, the fun DOES NOT LAST.

Well, I shouldn’t say that.  Desiree’s parents were my favorite. They were just gushing with love and support and smiles…it kind of makes you wonder where the HELL Desiree’s brother came from.

Nate asks Sean if they can talk, and outside he confronts Sean about being a “playboy.”  My heart starts pumping, and I want to knock this kids teeth in. I honestly think Sean was having the exact same reaction.

It disappoints me when someone uses an assumption to form an opinion about somebody that they have NEVER talked to. Nate did this, and not only did he MISS THE MARK COMPLETELY about Sean, but he RUINED (single-handed) Desiree’s shot with Sean.  He was terrible. Now I am going to give him the same respect, and say that I have never talked to him, or met him, and I can understand his skepticism and being protective over Desiree…but what the H…He just did NOT seem like a good guy… Even the way he talked to his parents at the dinner table at the end of the episode!  Super disrespectful, and inconsiderate of Desiree and her feelings…OHHHHHH NO.  It was a nightmare.

At the Rose Ceremony: Sean is distraught.  He seems defeated and confused, frustrated and worried, and those are a lot of emotions that we have not seen him wear on his face so far this season.  He talks with Chris and explains how lost he feels. Even standing in front of the girls at the Rose Ceremony he admits that he STILL didn’t know who is going to send home.  Desiree makes a last minute attempt at apologizing, but SHE is not the problem.

Sean gives out a rose to Catherine and AshLee…walks out…struggles for a moment (or 5)…walks back in and gives the Rose to Catherine.

WHEW.

As we re-learn every season, the show gets more and more intense after every episode.  For some reason, this season and THIS episode felt like a whole different ball game.  Obviously this is the product of meeting families, but in general, it just felt like there was a lot more weight involved.  Like this wasn’t easy for Sean…AT ALL…

OK…

Music time. (www.michaelstaglianomusic.com for all the deets) ;)

Some really cool new stuff going on in the next few weeks.  We are booking a show in BOSTON at the House of Blues (stay tuned). I will be playing a charity benefit concert at a school in LA on March 1st. Some new YouTube videos will be going up this week, which I haven’t done in MONTHS… cause, you know… I’ve been getting engaged and stuff.  Haha.

Life is super good right now, and I hope it is for you all as well.  As always, thank you for reading.

Till next time:

LOVE!

Michael Stagliano

1. I look forward to reading your blog every week! You are so awesome and absolutely hilarious! Thanks for the laughs!

Comment by Marissa — February 21, 2013 @ 12:44 pm

2. Michael,

You seem like a sweet guy, and I appreciate your insights into the Bachelor world. But you gotta stop with all the…ellipses…and CAPITAL LETTERS. It makes your BLOG really difficult to READ…

Comment by lauriel — February 21, 2013 @ 12:50 pm

3. Enjoyed your perspective. Did you notice Sean’s grin when he talked about Catherine on Sean Tells All. I think he may have given away the ending!!

I feel Catherine is the best for him, mostly because she has been honest about not being in love from the start and not going into this expecting love and an engagement. She seems realistic about the process. She didn’t push for kisses from night one, she let the friendship develop and then went to the next step.

I hope he is happy regardless of who he chooses. He knows best.

Comment by Louise — February 21, 2013 @ 12:51 pm

4. i will forever comment on each and every one of your blogs. you are the best

Comment by Claire — February 21, 2013 @ 1:22 pm

5. Hello Michael,

Great blog as usual. I have to say that watching Des go was so sad! She is such a sweet, positive, and beautiful woman – it was sad to see her hopes squashed! When she kept saying, “this is a mistake, this is not right” I immediately thought of Jason/Melissa/Molly. I would love to watch her be the next bachelorette!!

Most of the home town dates were pretty boring this season. Ashlee is incredibly gorgeous and sweet, but seems a little boring for Sean. Lindsay seems too young and I don’t see a life long connection. Catherine is sweet and fun, but I don’t see them as soul mates either!! Also, I thought is was not nice for her sisters to tell Sean that she is moody and gets bored in relationships, LOL! But, hey, what the heck do I know??!!

Have a good week!
    Heather

Comment by Heather — February 21, 2013 @ 1:53 pm

6. Great blog, Michael,

So much fun to read! I liked reading that you were also turned off by Lindsay’s little girl routine. I don’t think she can help it , she just has a high pitched voice and lacks confidence — like doesn’t have a lot of presence, so she comes across as insubstantial and childlike.

I was surprised to read your comments as I was expecting men to feel protective and drawn to someone like that. I was impressed to read that you value strength and maturity in a woman.

Great blog:D

Comment by Molly — February 21, 2013 @ 2:40 pm

7. Great blog! I’ve been looking forward to it! I actually genuinely like all three of the final women, but I still think Lindsay is my favorite. I do see where you say she seems young, and at times she does, but then I remember she’s only 24. There’s just something about her that seems so sweet and natural. Also, I adored watching her family on tv and it seems like out of the other families, sean would fit in best with Lindsay. AshLee is amazing, but just way too intense for Sean. I like how outgoing Catherine is, but it’s just so much all the time it’s kind of like, is that just forced and fake? What her sisters told Sean wasn’t very good either.

I think it’s going to come down to Catherine and Lindsay, but he picks Catherine. If that’s the case I’m hoping Lindsay will be the next bachelorette. She would be a nice change from Emily who just seemed full of herself and super uptight.

I live in Boston so if you do a show at the House of Blues I’ll be there!

Comment by Kayla — February 21, 2013 @ 2:44 pm

8. Michael–great blog as usual–love your insights about each girl. And this is to Heather whose comments are above–I totally agree with all that you said, especially about the Jason/Molly/Melissa part. I think that Des was the best choice for Sean. Her brother is a bully and good at manipulating his family. I just hope that Des is the next bachelorette or else gets another chance with Sean some time in the future. Fingers crossed…!

Comment by Ginny — February 21, 2013 @ 3:17 pm

9. I was a big fan of Lesley so I’m sad she’s off, but there is one more thing that has somewhat been aggravating me.

I’ve seen a few people say that Lindsay doesn’t have depth or she acts childish sometimes. How do you figure that? Since she doesn’t have a sad sob story is that how you figure she doesn’t have depth? Don’t get me wrong, AshLee’s story is heartbreaking and warms my heart at the same time and clearly Catherine didn’t have the easiest childhood. Technically Lindsay has a sad story with her father fighting in a war and never knowing if he was ever going to come home, but she doesn’t make it seem sad. If AshLee or Catherine didn’t share those stories with us I would find them childish. AshLee basically told a man she met after a few weeks that she was madly in love with him and just constantly repeats that over and over. Catherine only repeats “His arms are so beefy” and “I like him!” To me, AshLee and Catherine act just as childish as Lindsay.

Comment by Carly — February 21, 2013 @ 3:43 pm

10. I like how you noticed that Sean hugged Lindsay’s little brother…that moment was so sweet!
    I’m glad that the remaining girls are genuine because Sean really seems to deserve it. (Unlike Brad, Jake, etc.)
    Pretty sure you’re my favorite blogger, Michael!
    Congratulations on your engagement! (Speaking of another guy who deserves it :)

Comment by Katie — February 21, 2013 @ 3:46 pm

11. As usual, another enjoyable recap. I enjoy your perspectives and agree with most of them. I totally agree with you about Lindsay. She’s adorable, sweet and seems like a fine individual, but she’s still a little girl.

I could easily see Des as the next Bachelorett. She also seems like a good person who may have the maturity to carry the show. Lindsay is still a girl-woman, but Des would probably handle it beautifully with a lot less giggling. Maybe if she is chosen to become the next Bachelorette, ABC can send her brother out of the country so she doesn’t have to introduce him to anyone again! What a low-life!

And while Catherine brings out the fun in him, I don’t think he’d appreciate it day in and day out. For the same reason, I think she’d get bored with him quickly. He’s a little too staid for her. She is also adorable and seems to have a good head on her shoulders.

Comment by jessie — February 21, 2013 @ 5:01 pm

12. You clearly have an inability to write a concise sentence. Please take this to heart: your blog was thoroughly unenjoyable.

Comment by RandomInternetGuy — February 21, 2013 @ 5:17 pm

13. To me Lindsay is “childish” because of how she appears – as in squeeky voice, little girlish mannerisms. She comes across as lacking substance. She may actually be very intelligent, accomplished, and well read but her persona is like cotton balls or cotton candy, fluffy, light, silly, like a cute little girl as opposed to a mature woman. She lacks gravitas or something. I mean there is nothing WRONG with her, just that she APPEARS silly and insubstantial, like someone who is nice but easy to dismiss as a light weight.

Comment by To Carly — February 21, 2013 @ 5:33 pm

14. Hello Honest, I mean Random Internet Guy *eye roll*

Comment by Honest Putrifies Another BLog — February 21, 2013 @ 5:34 pm

15. @Honest Putrifies Another BLog – LOL. LMAO. I am with you :) This whole thing is written with concise sentences. Maybe “Random Internet Guy” can’t read or doesn’t even know himself what a concise sentence is.

Comment by Beth H. — February 21, 2013 @ 6:29 pm

16. Do Not listen to lauriel. I love your elipses and CAPITAL LETTERS. It makes me read it like you are really saying it. Love it. I also love your blog, not only because you are hilarious, but you have a certain respect for “the show” and it really makes it more entertaining that way. Anyway, what I just typed didn’t even make sense in my mind, so good luck with that.

Comment by ShaLane — February 21, 2013 @ 6:43 pm

17. To Honest -

I get what you’re saying and I’m not saying that Lindsay doesn’t come off as childish at points, but so does Catherine and AshLee. Professing love for a man the way AshLee does for Sean is immature. I know this show moves at warp speed, but she’s been crying over him and basically saying she loved him since her one on one not even 3 weeks into the process. Also, Catherine giggles and talks like a child around Sean as well. Saying things such as “I like your beefy arms” repetively comes off as childish. I’m just calling it like it is, all three of them have come off as childish.

Comment by Carly — February 21, 2013 @ 7:33 pm

18. Sorry! Totally didn’t mean to direct my last comment at ya Honest!

Comment by Carly — February 21, 2013 @ 7:41 pm

19. Hi, Carly,

I agree with your sentiments. I think all of the girls are immature. I don’t see a real match for Sean among any of the remaining girls.

Comment by To Carly — February 21, 2013 @ 7:56 pm

20. Great blog! My favorite to read every week!

SO excited you’re coming to Boston! House of Blues is one of the best concert venues. Can’t wait!

Comment by Melanie — February 21, 2013 @ 8:17 pm

21. ShaLane,
    I was just going to say the exact same thing.. I too write with ellipses on the internet…it’s pretty much just writing as I would say it…I’m assuming Michael does the same thing..
    Great blog Michael… congrats on your engagement!!

Comment by MamaBear — February 21, 2013 @ 9:01 pm

22. Thanks for the great blog. Appreciate the apparent kindness with which you write it!

Comment by Arch — February 21, 2013 @ 9:24 pm

23. LOL, the fact that I won’t pretend these Z–list celeb wannabes are famous really got to you all! Now every negative comment will be attributed to me. LOL, ok, crazies. Now you can all pretend I’m famous too. ;) LOL.

You’re only proving me right by getting this worked up and talking about me when I only left a comment for those girl bloggers. Not much to say for this blog because I didn’t have time to read it all and it seems like more of the same. I see negative comments from people who expect good writing and grammar but don’t find it in these blogs. I see the gofer/asst producers replying under fake names to defend the silly blogs and poor writing/grammar. Oy vey.

I’m bored now. Moving on to something more interesting. Keep my name alive maniacs by pretending I leave future comments. I can safely say I won’t be coming back unless I need a good laugh. I promise I’ll use my name, Honest, as always, though I won’t put it past these celeb wannabes to leave comments using my name. Put the drugs down people and go read some good literature. You may even learn something! :) I’ll say one thing from what I did read here; this Stagliano guy seems nice. I hope he’s not delusional like the others; except the Natalie girl who doesn’t seem to take this too seriously. I like her.

Comment by Honest — February 22, 2013 @ 2:54 am

24. @Beth H.-you belong on the show Catfish. I just know you already have some fake online relationships with rejected Bach contestants. LOL. Please don’t boil any bunny rabbits. Fingers crossed.

Comment by Honest — February 22, 2013 @ 2:57 am

25. @Honest you need to back off @Beth H. You’re being an ass-hole on purpose. I think people who get off on doing that are especially disgusting!

Thanks for the recap Michael!

I forget who said this above, but I agree that I’m struggling to see Sean’s future wife in these final 3. I like them all for different reasons, just can’t see Sean marrying any of them.

Comment by Michelle — February 22, 2013 @ 6:59 am

26. Hey Michael!!!

Yours is the blog I most look forward to. You’re funny, kind and a great resource into what it really felt like to be in their position. I’m a HUGE fan of your music, and I am holding out hope for a Charlotte,NC show. Mazel Tov on the engagement and nothing but happy things for you in the future!!

xoxo

Comment by Lisa Rochelle — February 22, 2013 @ 7:00 am

27. @Michelle- Thank you for defending me! @Honest- I already told you, I am not that kind of person. I am not on Catfish nor will I ever be. I also already told you that I am way too young for any of the Bachelor(ette) alums. Boil bunny rabbits? You’re sick. I would never do that. Beth is my real name. Beth Holler. Go look on twitter if you don’t believe me @bethholler. Natalie Getz follows me and has seen my face before. She can confirm it is really me. Now please leave me alone and stop talking about Catfish.

Comment by Beth H. — February 22, 2013 @ 7:56 am

28. Honest?

People getting worked up over you? Please. I saw an asinine comment and thought same troll.

No one looks at these contestants as celebrities or even cares about their grammar. They are contestants on a show which we all make fun of together. You really must be jealous of Bachelor contestants or be someone who was cut from the show the first name. Let me guess? you are Drunk Tim? Maybe bitter Chris Barkowski?

You remind me of my brother at age 5, always taunting, pointing fingers..and then laughing if he got the slightest response. “See I got you. Nya nya!”

Seriously grow up….No one cares whether you come back or not..Do as you wish. Sheeesh.

Comment by To Honest — February 22, 2013 @ 9:38 am

29. I can’t imagine Sean staying married to anyone either. I think he’s too old for the women he likes best so I guess he would be a good pal for Arie and Jef Holm both whom won’t get married until they are about 45. Sean finds dating all the women really easy and I don’t see him stressed at all.

Comment by Mary A. — February 22, 2013 @ 12:06 pm

30. Funny how if someone finds your blog unenjoyable they still take the time to read it AND comment on it… weak. I for one love your writing style and your blog is the only one I read consistently. Love you Michael. Best wishes.

Comment by Angela — February 22, 2013 @ 12:07 pm

31. Michael on the other hand, is real husband material and that makes him a real man. Yay for Michael. Now you nuts need to take your fight to another person’s blog because Michael didn’t do anything to deserve the dumb stuff you are posting.

Comment by Mary A. — February 22, 2013 @ 12:08 pm

32. ALWAYS LOVE reading your blog & check the site countless times until its here!! Good insight and love the honesty and humor you bring to it. Unlike the first comment, I love the ALL CAPS HERE AND THERE ;) and the ………….. It totally adds the emphasis where you’re trying to…which is great since trying to read something the same way the author meant to write it/make it sound is not always easy!! Congrats again on the engagement!!!! (And when you’re not busy planning your wedding, keep the music coming!!!!!!!!)

Comment by Monica — February 22, 2013 @ 12:23 pm

33. I agree that Nate totally ruined it for Des.
    I don’t see Sean with AshLee, she is sweet but too serious.
    Love your blog, as always.

Comment by Claudia — February 22, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

34. Loved your post…as always! Unlike some others… I ENJOY the all CAPS and… ellipses! I think it that they add drama and are well used! On a completely unrelated note…any plans to play in Utah soon?

Comment by Celsey — February 22, 2013 @ 12:52 pm

35. @Honest you are friggin hilarious. I read your comments on Michael’s blog and you were right. One of them came back and posted here using your name with a fake comment “Sorry for the awful posts. I forgot to take my meds” You can tell it wasn’t you as it was posted hours after your comments. They needing to post using your name is a whole new level of sad since they can’t just stand up to you as themselves.

Thank you @Honest and @Guru! For saying what all of us viewers and readers are thinking. You clearly got to these people. You are long gone and they’re still talking about you.

I never realized Bach alum were delusional enough to think they could be celebs. Now Jaclyn started some lame blog and she thinks people will care. I think she really believes she will have her own show someday. You can tell she makes up fake profiles and leaves comments on her own blogs saying she should get her own show. Lol is right!

@Honest I’m sorry you won’t leave anymore comments. They were one of the few genuinely funny things I have read on these lame blogs. I too wish you would use your real name. Call me?

Comment by Andy D — February 22, 2013 @ 4:19 pm

36. @Possesionista how lame that you actually use a funny comment made by @Honest as material for your Twitter. She mentions the show Catfish jokingly in all her comments on everyone’s blogs here and you steal her joke to pass it off as your own. I guess you’re just another Ash Spivey stealing everyone else’s material. A sure sign of a bad writer is unoriginality. No wonder you’re stuck in Bachelor world.

Comment by Andy D — February 22, 2013 @ 4:27 pm

37. I love your blogs always! Whether I agree or not, they’re always fun to read. I also love your all caps words and sentence fragments. I can actually hear you saying these things in my head (that sounds creepy..you know what I mean right?). It shows your personality and personal style! Congrats on the engagement, she is gorgeous, and you two are beautiful together :)

Comment by Shae — February 22, 2013 @ 5:11 pm

38. Wow, this thread got weird… I agree that AshLee is TOO much. So pretty and sweet, but too serious and too much “I love you”. Eegh. I really like Catherine and Lindsey but I don’t see it lasting with either one.. Bummer because Sean seems like a nice guy.

Comment by Beth — February 23, 2013 @ 1:33 pm

39. Desiree’s Nate brother is a cocky prick who ruined it for his sister. I think her cares more about being the BIG Man and manipulating the situation than his sister’s happiness. Also, Michael I do agree with you that he was super disrespectful in the way he talked to his parents at the dinner table. What I wonder is why nobody was standing up to him. Desiree let him walk all over her, like he dictates her life and her decisions. Same with her parents! He has the bad seed in what seems like a sweet family.

I also thought Desiree was perfect for Sean and if it does not work out with his final girl, I agree with a poster above that she reminded me of Jason/Molly Melissa. Sean and Desiree should give it a second chance. :)

Comment by Paulina Reat — February 23, 2013 @ 7:44 pm

40. I was sad to see Desiree go along with Lesley. At this point, Lindsey is my favorite! I want to like Catherine, because she seems so sweet and fun, but she’s just never caught my eye. I like Ashlee too but think she’s a little much for Sean. However, in the long run, it’s his life, so I wish him the best with whoever he chooses.
    P.S. Your blog is my favorite! I look forward to reading it each week! :)

Comment by Amy — February 23, 2013 @ 8:49 pm