Tenley’s Bachelor Blog: Episode 2

From Tenley’s Kitchen to Your Bachelor Viewing Party

Week 2 of The Bachelor

So here we are again, at another season of the bachelor. Every January I get so excited for a new Season and look forward to each Monday night that comes around! So much nostalgia for me, I can’t believe it’s been 3 years since I pulled up in the limo at the Bachelor Mansion, what a journey it has taken me on. What memories I have.

Not only do I have memories about my time on The Bachelor or Bachelor Pad, but I have many years of memories of Bachelor viewing parties. Starting back in college in the girls Dorms, nights on my couch with girlfriends in our PJ’s, and fun rose themed evenings with lots of friends. Bachelor viewing parties can be done many ways and with all kinds of company, but one thing that must always be the same is food—you must have good food!

Good food is my life, and I love taking traditional recipes and making them a bit healthier and somewhat “guilt-free” but without losing the taste! All of my recipes are gluten free because of my own personal food intolerance’s, so these recipes will be perfect to take with you or serve to any crowd you’re hosting.

By the time of night that The Bachelor airs, most of your guests have already had a dinner, but some of your guests may be coming straight from work or from their busy mom/dad life of feeding the kids and putting them to bed so they can chill for the rest of the night. So think of feeding snacky finger foods that won’t be too filling, but enough options to feed those that are hungry.

Here are your recipes for this week…

***

Cheese & Figs

what you need:

-Dried Figs, diced into thirds or even smaller

(mission is what I used & love, you can find them in the bulk section at Whole Foods or at your local supermarket near the rest of the dried snacks)

-A nutty sharp cheese, diced into small square or rectangular pieces

(I used a cheese I found at whole foods called Robusta this time. It’s a type of gouda. Other great cheeses would be any sheep or goat cheeses, or you could try a swiss)

-Toothpicks

directions:

-dice dried figs and cheese and place on toothpicks, putting figs on first and cheese second. Your cheese & figs will stand on their own with the cheese as the bottom.

It’s that easy! Such a great, tasty, sweet, and savory snack.

***

Pancetta & Goat Cheese Pear Bites

Inspired by Eat.Drink.Smile

* This Recipe makes plenty for a group of 4-6 People, for larger groups just double or triple the recipe!

ingredients:

-1 Pear

-4-6 Thin slices of Pancetta (Organic is preferred)

-Crumbled Goat Cheese (Organic is preferred)

-Honey

-Fresh Ground Pepper

directions:

-Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees

-Line a baking sheet with foil and arrange Pancetta slices on the foil

-Bake Pancetta for about 8-10 minutes. Keep your eye on this, they can get very hot and set some fire alarms off. ;) (Speaking from experience)

-Remove Pancetta from oven and “blot” with paper towels and let set until it’s crispy

-When Pancetta is cooled down slice into small pieces, crumbles

-Slice Pear- I made thin slices from the sides of the pear moving towards the center

-Top each Pear slice with crumbled Pancetta, crumbled Goat Cheese, a drizzle of honey, and sprinkle of fresh ground pepper

This is another simple recipe and sure to be a hit! Every time I have made these they have been gobbled up quickly.

*I always add a little squeeze of lemon juice to the pear slices to keep them from browning.

**Vegetarian option: Simple enough, just leave the pancetta off a few of the pears if you’ll be hosting a few vegetarians. I have done this before setting them on a separate plate.

***

A little something sweet…

Here is one of those traditional dessert recipes that has been made grain free, gluten free, and fairly close to guilt free for a dessert! ;)

Grain-Free Almond Butter Blondies

ingredients:

-1/4 cup melted Coconut Oil

-1/3 cup Organic Coconut Palm Sugar (Coconut Sugar is an excellent low glycemic sweetener option. You can use Honey as your sweetener if you’re unfamiliar with coconut sugar)

-1/4 cup Raw Organic Almond Butter

-1 Egg

1-/2 tsp. Gluten Free Vanilla

-1 1/4 cup Almond Meal/Flour

-1/8 tsp. baking soda

-1/2 tsp. baking powder

-1/4 tsp. salt

-Your choice of chocolate chip baking chips. I prefer using Dark Chocolate Chunks or Dairy Free Chocolate Chips. *Usually I love extra chocolate, but in this recipe I think less is more!

directions:

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees

-Grease a square baking dish w/ coconut oil or parchment paper

-Mix melted coconut oil, coconut sugar, almond butter, egg, and vanilla in a small bowl with kitchen-aid or hand mixer. Mix well.

-Combine almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and mix together well with a fork.

-Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix well with the mixer.

-Mix in your choice of chocolate chips/chunks and spread batter in greased pan (grease with coconut oil).

-Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out of center clean. Edges will start to turn golden brown.

Enjoy this absolutely moist and delicious treat!

***

Last but not least… A Special Drink for your Bachelor viewing this week

Champagne & Gummy Bears

*I usually use Champagne flutes, but didn’t have any for our viewing party this week at our host’s home.

This is my “Specialty” drink, a drink I brought with me to the Bachelor mansion, and it caught on like wild fire during my season of Bachelor Pad. Really, go back and watch Bachelor Pad season 1 and you’ll spot a few bears in the bottom of our glasses!

Champagne is the signature drink of The Bachelor, it makes an appearance in every episode, so it makes the best sense to kick off this season saying cheers with a glass of champagne… and I’m telling you, there is nothing like adding a few gummy bears to your champagne!

*I am not promoting gummy bears as a healthy treat, this is a guilty pleasure of mine and wanted to share this fun twist. Eat and drink in moderation. :)

FOR MORE FUN AND HEALTHY RECIPES COME VISIT ME AT www.sweetandfreelife.com

1. Wow, I am so impressed. The only one I didn’t care for would be gummy bears because I don’t know what all is in them … But love the rest of these recipes. Total class Tenley!

Comment by Melinda — January 14, 2013 @ 2:40 pm

2. HI Tenley,

Just curious. How do you know which champagnes and wines are gluten free? I am always nervous because the labels don’t really seem to list whats in them and I have heard that sometimes wine barrels contain wheat.

Comment by Katie — January 14, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

3. This is so cool, thanks!!

Comment by Arch — January 15, 2013 @ 1:17 am

4. It’s nice to see you hear, Tenley. I love these recipe ideas. I’m trying the figs and cheese. :)

Comment by Phoebe — January 15, 2013 @ 7:55 am

5. That is “here” — I do know how to spell!

Comment by Phoebe — January 15, 2013 @ 7:56 am

6. I am not clear why your “blog” on the show consists of recipes. This is all shameless self promotion.

I am a Tenley fan, but geez, there is a time and place.

Everyone is trying to extend their 15 minutes here. Tenley you don’t need to be associated with the franchise to become a cooking guru or whatever else you aspire to be.

Can’t you make it on your own without hanging onto Mike Fleiss’ coattails? I mean you are a classy, family oriented lady and this is a classless, party hardy show…Do you want your image to be associated with Fleiss or can you create an identity outside of it.

Comment by lois — January 15, 2013 @ 10:48 am

7. @Lois- Everybody’s blog is different! Ashley S. does pictures with captions, several others write regular blogs in their writing styles (humor or not), and now we have Tenley blogging her recipes (which actually a lot of people ask for anyway). This is the first time I have actually seen a blog from Tenley up her and it makes me happy. You don’t know what Tenley’s intentions are with doing this blog, so don’t assume things. Also, Tenley was on The Bachelor and Bachelor Pad herself so I don’t really understand this statement ” I mean you are a classy, family oriented lady and this is a classless, party hardy show.” If she was on the show, then, by your description, she should be “classless” and a “big partier,” which she’s not. The show might condone a lot of negative behaviors, but that doesn’t mean that all the people on it are bad people. Many, including Tenley, are wonderful. @Tenley- I am very excited to see your blog up on here! I think it’s neat that you are doing a recipe blog. If anyone gives you a hard time, don’t take it personally.

Comment by Beth — January 15, 2013 @ 1:07 pm

8. Love it Ten! Hope to catch up with you soon:)

Comment by Natalie — January 15, 2013 @ 2:54 pm

9. Frankly ,I am absolutely sick of Tenley and her self-promoting. Just plain sad.
    “Tone it DOWN” Ms. Molzhan

Comment by Sal — January 16, 2013 @ 11:23 pm

10. @Sal- Then why did you come and read her blog and waste time writing a comment on it. I personally don’t think this comes across as self-promoting. Its recipes for crying out loud. Not once did she write the words or even mention “tone it up.” A lot of people are gluten intolerant Tenley is someone who knows about it and wants to help. I don’t think that’s wrong. If you’re going to criticize Tenley, then criticize all the other bloggers too. It’s only fair. If you want to see true self-promoting, read Michael’s blog from week 1. I love Michael but in that blog he definitely promotes his music. Anyway, I am not related to Tenley or anyone in bachelornation nor am I paid to write comments. I am just someone who can’t stand stupid comments on blogs, especially to people like Tenley who seems to be very nice.

Comment by Beth — January 17, 2013 @ 4:03 pm

11. Beth, so annoying how you get on these blogs and lecture about how great are the bach peeps. Anyone with a brain can tell which critics make sense on here (if any) and who doesn’t… stop underestimating the other readers on here. You are coming across like a bachelornation kiss arse – my god, get a life and do something meaningful with all your passion.

Comment by Sarah Whitney — January 18, 2013 @ 11:36 am

12. P.S. I don’t see Tenley doing anything wrong by extending her 15 min … at least she’s not trashing other people on the show.

Comment by Sarah Whitney — January 18, 2013 @ 11:38 am

13. I agree with Sarah – if people want to have an opinion good or bad … they can comment what they think without Beth the bachelor cop. No one said anything horrible to Tenley. And I am neutral on her so don’t bash me LOL.

Comment by marti — January 18, 2013 @ 11:40 am

14. @Sarah Whitney and Marti- Believe or not, I actually appreciate your feedback, so thank you! If there was a way to take off my comments, I would. I am sorry for coming across as a “bachelor cop.” I also have no problem with Tenley extending her fifteen minutes of fame. Sarah, I am not going to lie that I was a little hurt by the way you addressed me b/c it comes across as a little harsh,but I understand. I actually do have a life. I am a full-time college student. Marti, I’m not going to bash you, don’t worry :) I hope both of you have a wonderful weekend and I will try my very best to refrain from being a “bachelor cop” on the blogs this coming week. I’ll only post my own comments about my own thoughts on the blog.

Comment by Beth — January 18, 2013 @ 12:57 pm

15. Tenley’s Bachelor Blog: Episode 2

To deny an opportunity to promote oneself is a trait to be admired. I just feel Tenley is over-reaching and fogetting acceptable boundaries in her effort to stay recognized.

When I read the above heading and then opened her blog, I quote Beth’s comment “IT’S RECIPES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.”

BTW ,Beth — no need to apologize. We all have different opinions :)

Comment by Sal — January 18, 2013 @ 1:38 pm

16. @Sal- You seem like a nice person and I can see where you are coming from now. I feel a little bad now for responding to your comment so harshly when you responded to me so kindly. Thanks for being understanding! Have a nice weekend!

Comment by Beth — January 18, 2013 @ 1:41 pm

17. I forgot to respond to your questions Beth!! You asked ‘Why do you waste your time reading her blog?”
    Well,to be honest, I am sort of a reality show junkie and always enjoy the feedback of others following the episodes. It’s my guilty pleasure, perhaps (I WAS NOT searching for recipes.)
    Your 2ND question: “waste time writing a comment on it?”
    Beth,you should never assume how someone you do not know views ‘time spent’

Comment by Sal — January 18, 2013 @ 2:00 pm

18. Is it true that Tenley and her boyfriend are no longer together. My friend who works in a bar in San Diego says people are talking about it.

Comment by Stacie — January 18, 2013 @ 3:01 pm

19. You are right, Sal! I am a reality show junkie too, actually :)

Comment by Beth — January 18, 2013 @ 3:15 pm

20. Hi Beth. I liked your reply. And, yes, we all wish we could delete sometimes!

Comment by Sarah Whitney — January 19, 2013 @ 10:56 am

21. Stacie, I read something about the split on the old ABC Bachelorette Boards. The comments are in the Blurbs section. To me, the relationship always looked staged and a little too cutesy. Anyway, it’s not really earth shattering news!

Comment by Robyn — January 19, 2013 @ 1:33 pm

22. I sure hope Tenley broke up with anyone who did not propose to her after a few years of dating. That’s the right thing to do.

Comment by Sarah Whitney — January 20, 2013 @ 1:41 pm

23. I tried the brownies … awesome!

Comment by marti — January 21, 2013 @ 12:00 pm

24. What brand of champagne do you use?

Comment by Jonah — January 28, 2013 @ 9:38 pm

25. Have you never heard of Pinterest?

Comment by spellingnazi — February 3, 2013 @ 2:10 pm

26. Hey there are using WordPress for your site platform?
    I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own.
    Do you require any coding knowledge to make your own blog?
    Any help would be really appreciated!

Comment by incense sticks scents — June 21, 2013 @ 8:56 am

27. We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with valuable info to work on. You’ve done
    a formidable job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

Comment by Peter — July 4, 2013 @ 11:11 am

28. Hey fantastic website! Does running a blog like
    this require a lot of work? I’ve virtually no understanding of computer programming however I was hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyways, if you have any suggestions or tips for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off topic however I simply had to ask. Thank you!

Comment by incensesticks.barrflast.com — July 25, 2013 @ 1:33 am

29. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this,
    like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with some pics to
    drive the message home a bit, but other than
    that, this is magnificent blog. A fantastic read.
    I will definitely be back.

Comment by dog collars — October 17, 2013 @ 7:37 pm