Tenley’s Bachelor Blog: Episode 3

From Tenley’s Kitchen to Your Bachelor Viewing Party

Week 3 of The Bachelor

Another Monday night of Sean and his Bachelorettes brings me another Bachelor viewing party with a few friends! This Monday is a busy one, so this week my viewing party menu is very simple and practical. We need these kinds of “go to’s” when hosting, right? I thought I’d share this easier spread with all of you, because we can’t always be “superwoman” (or superman) and we can use some shortcuts!

First of all, I have to say how much I’ve been enjoying Sean as the Bachelor! What do you all think? I’m sold on the fact that he’s a good guy, very genuine. It’s refreshing, but of course we still have the ladies we’re all figuring out. I personally feel like I like one girl one second, and then the next, she says something or does something and I find myself scratching my head and wondering, “hmmm… who will this guy end up with?” We shall see! But that’s the fun of it all– And I don’t read spoilers, so please don’t tell me. :)

Here are your recipes for this week…

***

Paleo Gluten Free Pizza Bites

This recipe was inspired by The Whole Journey

This recipe takes a little preparation, but this crust recipe is paleo (which means it’s grain free and gluten free) and it makes for a healthier pizza option, which of course makes it a bit “guilt-free”. ;) I like to prepare these pizza crusts ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator or freezer until I’m ready to make my pizza. Once you have your crust made you can make any kind of pizza you want, but keep in mind your guests and their dietary needs (check ingredients for allergens even with toppings). When you’re ready to serve, take your pizza cutter and cut small bites. Voila! Simple as that and you have pizza bites.

crust ingredients:

-2 cups almond meal

-2 eggs (pastured is recommended)

-3 tbsp. Grapeseed oil

-¼ tsp. baking soda

-1 tsp. garlic powder

-1½ tablespoons fresh rosemary chopped

toppings ideas:

-Organic Marina Sauce (one without any sugar added)

-Pesto sauce as an option (if catering to non-dairy crowd, look for a non-dairy pesto)

-Organic sausage (just brown/saute on stove before adding as topping)

-Organic mozzarella cheese or a cheese substitute if you’re catering to a non-dairy crowd

-chopped garlic

-chopped onion

-oregano

-basil

-Veggies: peppers, mushrooms, squash, diced tomatoes

**For my pizza pictured, I was really in a hurry (it happens) so I just topped my crust with organic marinara sauce, garlic, onions, and cheese. Perfectly Tasty.

directions:

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

-Mix all crust ingredients together using a spoon until the mixture becomes very thick.

-Form the dough into a ball using your hands.

-Lightly grease a pizza pan or a cookie sheet with grapeseed oil.

-Place the ball of dough in the center of cookie sheet or pizza pan

-Using your hands, push and pat the dough down into the shape of a circle.

-Make the dough as thin as possible.

-The pizza crust should be approximately 12 inches in diameter.

-Bake JUST the crust in oven for 20 minutes.

-While the crust is cooking, prepare toppings.

-After the crust is finished, remove it from the oven and evenly spread sauce over the crust.

-Add desired toppings over the sauce and bake again for 25-30 minutes (Keep your eye on it. I always check around the 15 minute mark just to be safe and to see how it’s baking)

-If you’ve prepared your pizza crust ahead of time, just add toppings and bake!

I know this crust sounds a bit different, but it’s a great option for EVERYONE and it’s tasty. I personally appreciate going to parties and being able to eat stuff that my food intolerances usually keep me from getting to enjoy. So even if you’re not knowledgeable of all of your guests dietary needs it doesn’t hurt to have some better options for yourself on the menu, and then it’s a special treat for those that have to live more restricted. :)

Have fun with this unique pizza option that most everyone can enjoy!

***

Some balance…

Hummus, Veggies, & Gluten Free Crackers

This was my biggest shortcut for this week’s menu! I passed the store on my way to set everything up for tonight’s gathering and grabbed a bag of organic carrots and snap peas, some nutritious gluten free crackers, and a gluten free garlic lovers hummus. SIMPLE! I don’t ever feel judged by not personally making everything on my menu, your friends love having these kinds of staples around. And again, life happens, we get busy, and we don’t always have time to fit in all the extra details we want to.

These kinds of snacky items are perfect to include and they add some balance in your viewing party spread.

***

Something Rich…

Baked Brie & Pears

As many are intolerant of dairy, I do realize that this is one of those menu items that not everyone will be able to enjoy… but, mmmm. Look at that. This is a favorite quick “go to” of mine for gatherings. It feels special, it feeds several, and it tastes yummy. Many bake the brie with a puffed pastry around it, but because I can’t have puffed pastries I started doing without- which is better for you anyway!

ingredients:

-Brie Cheese Wheel (I get the 8 oz. one)

-Organic Raspberry Preserves

-Pears, thinly sliced

directions:

-Preheat oven to 350

-Place brie on top of foil on a cookie sheet

-Spread raspberry preserves on top of the Brie rind (the white outside coat)

-Place brie in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes (Raspberry preserves will look thicker and probably be bubbling a bit)

-Serve with some sliced pears (or apples) – to prevent pears from browning you can squeeze some lemon juice on them in a plastic bag and shake them.

-Slice into the baked brie and all of the ooey gooey yumminess will pour out. Eat with the pears!

Cheese isn’t the healthiest food for you, I think of it as a treat, or luxury. It’s not an everyday food. Remember to eat in moderation. :)

An easy and beautiful appetizer to have on hand!

***

This weeks special drink…

White Wine Spritzer

Wine Spritzers are nice. They’re half the calories and half the alcohol. You can also make this as a non-alcoholic beverage.

All you need…

-Some white wine, I prefer sauvignon blanc from New Zealand

-Club Soda

-And a little organic juice if you desire, I used Pomegranate juice

All you do…

-Pour a half glass of white wine

-Pour a 1/4 serving of club soda

-Pour a splash of juice

That’s it!

If you’re not yet 21 or not a fan of adult beverages, just use club soda and a splash of juice! Pour into a champagne flute for traditional Bachelor fashion. ;)

***

Happy Bachelor Viewing!

FOR MORE FUN AND HEALTHY RECIPES COME VISIT ME AT www.sweetandfreelife.com

1. Thanks for the great recipes!!

Comment by Arch — January 22, 2013 @ 9:53 am

2. Recipes??? WTF???

Comment by lois — January 22, 2013 @ 9:56 am

3. Mmmm, these looks good, Tenley! I am not gluten or dairy intolerant, but I’d love to try some of the recipes you put up. I am trying to not to respond to other peoples comments and be a “bachelor cop,” but I would like to say to @Lois that you read this last week and saw it was recipes so I don’t know why you’re surprised. But whatever, to each their own. Have a nice week, Tenley!

Comment by Beth — January 22, 2013 @ 10:28 am

4. WTH! I clicked on this Bachelor Blog expecting to read your thoughts on the show. Disappointing for sure as I am not at all interested in what YOU ate!!
    Actually think this whole recipe thing is rather self-serving.
    Just sayin““““““`

Comment by Kris — January 22, 2013 @ 12:55 pm

5. Thanks Tenley! Love the recipes as I am celiac and sometimes finding things to snack on is very difficult. Would love to hear some more of your thoughts on the show though. Have a great week!

Comment by Jo-Ann — January 22, 2013 @ 1:15 pm

6. YAY Tenley! I am SO excited to see that you are sharing g-free recipes via Bachelor blog!!! I love following your website for fun and healthy recipes so I am even more excited to see you posting great ones here as well! : ) I can’t wait to try the baked brie with pears!

Comment by Mackenzie — January 22, 2013 @ 1:17 pm

7. “Cheese isn’t an everyday food” … I love you Tenley, but really?! It’s when people deprive themselves that they tend to fixate on it and over eat. I enjoy your website but for such a tiny person you seem SO figure conscience.

Comment by LD — January 22, 2013 @ 2:22 pm

8. Thanks for posting! I love trying new recipes and enjoy reading what you’ve served for others! It makes me confident I can do the same! :)

Comment by Leila — January 22, 2013 @ 7:03 pm

9. I love your TV food blogs! Great idea, please keep it up! More fun than regular recipe posts. It’s neat to see what you serve at your Bachelor parties :) Great ideas for entertaining!

Comment by Camille — January 22, 2013 @ 7:46 pm

10. Just had to repost and thank you, thanks to you I ended up at Trader Joes tonight to buy some ingredients inspired by your blog! thank you! This is such a unique idea for a blog, I look forward to it every week:)

Comment by Arch — January 22, 2013 @ 8:12 pm

11. I find you completely boring as a human being. You are all rinse and repeat. The crap you say on twitter is the same crap you said last year on twitter.

I don’t see Kiptyn spending his life with you. You need to get a real job not try to ride this thing out with Kiptyn. Sorry but you are totally boring.

Comment by Hummer — January 23, 2013 @ 1:55 am

12. Hummer, well aren’t you just a lovely person. I’m sure you lead an extremely exciting life, seeing as you are spending time commenting on here.

Comment by Beth W — January 23, 2013 @ 9:09 am

13. Hummer, why would you choose to publicly expose this side of yourself? Your comments obviously come from a very dark place. CRUEL! MEAN! ANGRY!

Comment by Janet — January 23, 2013 @ 11:18 am

14. This is pointless. This website should be for bachelor recaps, not recipes. She should post her recipes on her own website, this is not the right venue for it.

Comment by Molly — January 23, 2013 @ 11:23 am

15. I think this is a neat feature. For those that want a standard blog/summary, go somewhere else…there’s lots of them on this site.

Comment by Jenn — January 23, 2013 @ 11:54 am

16. Molly, I agree 100%, this is NOT the right venue for recipes.
    Don’t expect to see it go away anytime soon when it involves money. Amazing what some people do when it comes to $$$$
    More comments, more bucks for Tenley!!

Comment by Lillian — January 23, 2013 @ 12:00 pm

17. I actually love this idea! My sister and I host bachelor viewing parties every week and its great to have some fresh ideas of things to serve. Thank you Tenley for the recipes! I can’t wait to try them!

Comment by mo — January 23, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

18. I’d never have a party around the bachelor show LOL. And, yes, I agree it’s strange to see recipes on this blog but why blame Tenley — ABC approved the idea after all. Just don’t read this if it bothers you. I am far more offended by obnoxious blogs, one of which is thankfully gone this season (AS).

Comment by marti — January 24, 2013 @ 6:14 am

19. I’d much rather read Tenley’s recipes than be subjected to the crap Jaclyn and Chris B write. Tenley has proven herself to be someone who has good values and morals, whereas Chris and Jaclyn need to slink back under the rock they crawled out from.

Comment by kris — January 24, 2013 @ 6:56 am

20. Some of these “ladies” (and I use that term loosely) are crazy that are posting on here. If you don’t like Tenley – get OFF HER BLOG! Simple as that.

Thank you Tenley for sharing your recipes each week – they are yummy and fun to try!

You are a beautiful and kind woman who doesn’t need to listen to the “internet trolls” talk sh**.

XOXO

Comment by Jennifer — January 24, 2013 @ 1:58 pm

21. I love Tenley’s blog. Her recipes look fun and creative. Keep them coming, Tenley!

Comment by Phoebe — January 25, 2013 @ 2:50 pm

22. Jennifer !!! have you heard of people living in glass houses??

You say:

“Some of these “ladies” (and I use that term loosely) are crazy that are posting on here.”

My question is this: Would you drop the words loosely and crazy if they (and I quote) TALK SH**.

Whew, such unkind judgement of others and your use of trashy words! All said, YOU really do not strike me as the shining example of a ‘true lady’

BTW, very few people have expressed dislike for Tenley.

—-”internet trolls” — THAT is funny, so ridiculous but funny!

Comment by Sarah — January 27, 2013 @ 3:11 pm

23. Tenley,

I’ve noticed you haven’t been addressing people who have asked you if you and Kiptyn are still together. What’s the story? There are some rumors out there and you not saying anything kind of validates them.
    And before people jump on me about relationships being personal, I get that they are. But they stop being personal when you go on multiple reality shows and send your vacation photos to Wetpaint.

Comment by Lauren — January 30, 2013 @ 11:28 am

24. You are so right Lauren.
    With Tenley, it’s only a public display when everything is rainbows and butterflies.

Comment by Renatta — January 30, 2013 @ 9:01 pm